Sulcata expert question.....

M

Maggie Cummings

@Tom and all you Bob fans......
Actually, this isn't about Bob. My question is easy.....I have Sulcata who turned 2 this month. He is 15" SCL and weighs 11lbs 10 oz..
He's 2 for petes sake. He's kinda mean but my question is sorta like this. Is there a way to tell if he's an ordinary Sulcata or something different(Sudanese)? Bob died at 17 and was 125 pounds. Now I have a 2 yr old who's 11 pounds already. I know I'm not lucky enough to accidentally get a special tortoise. But is 11 lbs. big for a 2 yr old? That's probably the bottom line, is he bigger now and gonna be bigger than "normal"? He eats hay like a cow. He's gone thru almost 1/2 a bale since it started raining.
I know my question is not important, but I'm just trying to find out if he's bigger than usual, and if so I'd better hurry up and find him a better home.
I won't be able to handle an especially large ornery tortoise.DSCN3662.JPG DSCN3660.JPG DSCN3354.JPG

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Maggie he looks great and I think he's probably above avg, from what I see on here.
mine is 2 and a half and 16 pounds. @Maro2Bear also has a young monster. His is around 3 and in the 40's I believe

M

Maggie Cummings

Maggie he looks great and I think he's probably above avg, from what I see on here.
mine is 2 and a half and 16 pounds. @Maro2Bear also has a young monster. His is around 3 and in the 40's I believe

Well, as usual you've one upped me again! So sounds kinda like he's just gonna be little bit bigger than normal. But I do think he looks good and smooth. I'd like to darken those growth lines tho. Man, are they white. I'll pm my fone for you......

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Well, as usual you've one upped me again! So sounds kinda like he's just gonna be little bit bigger than normal. But I do think he looks good and smooth. I'd like to darken those growth lines tho. Man, are they white. I'll pm my fone for you......
lol I'm not upping you. I was just giving you info. I said he's big and looks good. those conditions don't seem ideal for fast growth but it seems to be working for you.

M

Maggie Cummings

I was curious about what you mean when you say "he's kind of mean..."? (very nice looking tortoise).

He'll ram me as I'm putting his food down. He sniffs, any part of me, then bites. I used to sit on the floor and cuddle with Bob, we'd nap together. This guy starts sniffing shoes, pants, oh, here and he'll bite, hard. I think or maybe I'm just hoping he'll improve when he can go outside daily.

M

Maggie Cummings

lol I'm not upping you. I was just giving you info. I said he's big and looks good.

Thanks for the compliment.....but with me you need to learn, I love to tease. I think he looks good too. Seems to be one of those rare Sulcata threads whee we didn't have to talk more about pyramiding.......Here's Knobby, he's also growing fast, that face makes me smile every time I see it.......

DSCN3284.JPG

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I thought you set knobby free.......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom and all you Bob fans......
Actually, this isn't about Bob. My question is easy.....I have Sulcata who turned 2 this month. He is 15" SCL and weighs 11lbs 10 oz..
He's 2 for petes sake. He's kinda mean but my question is sorta like this. Is there a way to tell if he's an ordinary Sulcata or something different(Sudanese)? Bob died at 17 and was 125 pounds. Now I have a 2 yr old who's 11 pounds already. I know I'm not lucky enough to accidentally get a special tortoise. But is 11 lbs. big for a 2 yr old? That's probably the bottom line, is he bigger now and gonna be bigger than "normal"? He eats hay like a cow. He's gone thru almost 1/2 a bale since it started raining.
I know my question is not important, but I'm just trying to find out if he's bigger than usual, and if so I'd better hurry up and find him a better home.
I won't be able to handle an especially large ornery tortoise.

I would say that his size is fairly normal for a well started, well hydrated two year old kept in the correct temps. Mine are all about that size at two years. Dean's are that size at 18 months.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
.Here's Knobby, he's also growing fast, that face makes me smile every time I see it.......
View attachment 202210
Hey Maggie, where did you find that Knobby? It sure looks similar to the one I had that I named, "The SaddleBack one". ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489669312.631531.jpg
The SaddleBack is one of my tortoises my ex-wife fostered out to folks one week before I was released to come home the healing-wellness center I was in after my auto accident. Best part is she refused, and continues to provide me the location of them. My sister was taking care of them just fine from what I saw once home…hmmmm

M

Maggie Cummings

I know I said that, but I would never do anything to harm an animal. Like I said, I tease a lot, I did move him out to the tort shed, now he can dig all he wants, and my living room is not covered with dust from too many tort tables....

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I know I said that, but I would never do anything to harm an animal. Like I said, I tease a lot, I did move him out to the tort shed, now he can dig all he wants, and my living room is not covered with dust from too many tort tables....
Lol I knew you were joking...I was giving you a hard time back.

M

Maggie Cummings

Funny, I will be mean as hell to a particular person, for no reason....but I just couldn't hurt an animal. I have to suck snot out of ABN sinus, it hurts me and he's so good about it. He holds his head still while I stick a syringe up his nares and suck like heck. Then I do the same thing to the hole in his head. But it always bleeds, and he acts like it hurts. I'm getting to where I can't clean the hole in his head. But his nose cleans finePC200347.JPG ns fine....

M

Maggie Cummings

I would say that his size is fairly normal for a well started, well hydrated two year old kept in the correct temps. Mine are all about that size at two years. Dean's are that size at 18 months.

I miss Dean.....and thanks Tom...

M

Maggie Cummings

Well, that's crappy. I asked because I thought Sam was rather big for his age and wanted to show him off...but thanks to all the replies, I find out I have the smallest Sulcata in the whole history of TFO....huh! Guess I've been taken down a peg or 4.....
Lil Roxie likes to sleep under the light with any turtle, but she doesn't seem to care for them if they movePC170340.JPG

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Well, that's crappy. I asked because I thought Sam was rather big for his age and wanted to show him off...but thanks to all the replies, I find out I have the smallest Sulcata in the whole history of TFO....huh! Guess I've been taken down a peg or 4.....
Lil Roxie likes to sleep under the light with any turtle, but she doesn't seem to care for them if they moveView attachment 202421
We have a lot of feral cats in the neighborhood. I'm surprised none have tried to get in Charlie's box or sleep on top.