Sulcata growth

Blondefondew

Hi everyone. My Sir Tortellini is 2 and 1/2 now and weighs in at 10lbs. I am unsure how much I should be feeding him at this point and worry about him growing too fast. Last year when I had him at the vet, they recommended feeding him once a day and letting him graze in the evening. I feed him mostly grasses, weeds and succulents with a wide variety of other veggies and fruit once a week. I also give him about 10 Mazuri tortoise chow pellets daily and his grass and veggie mix is usually about 1 and 1/2 cups in the morning. He of course acts like he is starving all the time, I don't think that I am underfeeding him, thoughts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They should be fed as much of the right foods as they will eat daily.

The grasses and weeds are the right foods. I'd go real easy with veggies, and they shouldn't get any fruit at.

I wouldn't feed Mazuri more than once or twice a week.

Vets seldom know much about tortoise husbandry. Not the best place to get care advice most of the time.

Here is my feeding advice:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Last edited by a moderator:

Blondefondew

They should be fed as much of the right foods as they will eat daily.

The grasses and weeds are the right foods. I'd go real easy with veggies, and they shouldn't get any fruit at all.

I wouldn't feed Mazuri more than once or twice a week.

Vets seldom know much about tortoise husbandry. Not the best place to get care advice most of the time.

Here is my feeding advice:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Thank you for this reply! I live in South Florida so we have a ton of things growing here, I would say 70% of his diet is grass and weeds unless my husband mows and the weather sucks so the grass and weeds won't grow. :(
Where can I find all these weeds?
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard