Sulcata hatchling jaw injured! Help!

kennrocks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
I noticed my tortoise scratching its jaw with its hands and today it got wounded. What could be the cause of this? :(
20160723_100226.jpg
20160723_100230.jpg

Rue

Canada
Maybe he fell and got his head stuck?

Clean it up and keep an eye on it so it doesn't get infected.

I would just use clean warm water to start with.

kennrocks

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Maybe he fell and got his head stuck?

Clean it up and keep an eye on it so it doesn't get infected.

I would just use clean warm water to start with.
Got it. What do you think might be the cause? :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard to say what happened. Could he have got jammed with a stick while walking? That's what I would guess, a stick or something jammed into him. But, it's just a guess. Keep it cleaned and keep an eye on it.

kennrocks

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Nope. I saw him tear it right infront of me, at first he does it quite often then his jaw looked whitish and just now while he was eating, scraped it with his own hands and it tore.

Btw, he is eating well and walking well and all apart from having this wound.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does he live alone? That looks like it could be a bite mark. Looks like another mark on his rear leg.

kennrocks

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Does he live alone? That looks like it could be a bite mark. Looks like another mark on his rear leg.
yes I've separated them as you highlighted in my earlier post. Nope thats just coconut coir. Gonna get cypress mulch cause the coir is too messy. definitely not a bite mark cause i saw it happened. Do you think it might be abscess?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, it does look very similar. Maybe something was there that you just didn't notice that made him claw at it. Maybe something inside that couldn't be seen. You should try to measure it or make a mental image of how big it is, do you can make sure it doesn't get bigger. If you think some antibiotic cream could be put on it, but not get in his mouth, you could do that. However, for now I think I would just keep it clean and keep a close eye on it. Keep us posted too. Good luck. Hope it just heals and nothing else becomes of it.

kennrocks

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Wow, it does look very similar. Maybe something was there that you just didn't notice that made him claw at it. Maybe something inside that couldn't be seen. You should try to measure it or make a mental image of how big it is, do you can make sure it doesn't get bigger. If you think some antibiotic cream could be put on it, but not get in his mouth, you could do that. However, for now I think I would just keep it clean and keep a close eye on it. Keep us posted too. Good luck. Hope it just heals and nothing else becomes of it.
I washed it, dried it and applied aloe vera as it would be better than risking it eating antibiotic cream I suppose, what's your thought?

Was he with another tort or other animal?
nope, alone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I washed it, dried it and applied aloe vera as it would be better than risking it eating antibiotic cream I suppose, what's your thought?

nope, alone.
Good idea with the aloe. Maybe do a good check over of his enclosure to make sure there is nothing in it that could be biting him, like a spider, etc. then keep up with keeping it clean and the aloe shouldn't hurt to use either after its cleaning.

kennrocks

5 Year Member
Malaysia
How did you administer the Baytril?
Nope no baytril

Good idea with the aloe. Maybe do a good check over of his enclosure to make sure there is nothing in it that could be biting him, like a spider, etc. then keep up with keeping it clean and the aloe shouldn't hurt to use either after its cleaning.
Yeah checking ever hour to make sure no coconut coir gets in his wound.

Thanks alot guys! The response rate in this forum is great!!

kennrocks

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Under the
Strange behaviour of my 4 month old baby sulcata
thread you said you were using Baytril. Plus there was a second tort. Something is a bit off.
Ah that is another thread that I suspected it has RI from yawning alot. Yeah there was but I split them already based on a few comments to not house them together. I only put them together under supervision. Btw, they are from the same clutch, just some side info haha.