Sulcata Hatchling RI

Cassidy Dixon

Ok I figured I would bring this thread over to the sulcata section now that I found it. Here is Tucker... Born in January, came from Arizona 6 days ago. He arrived very cold and has been sick ever since I got him. He still eats, drinks, poops, and pees just like normal. He doesn't walk around to much. Just kind of sits in his house.

I have learned a thing or two in the last couple days thanks to this forum. I am open to suggestions but current conditions-

HOT SIDE- 100 degrees, 50% humidity (was 75% when I went to bed)
COLD SIDE(where his house sits)= 84 degrees and 78% humidity

The hot side has sand on it. I turned the basking light off last night. I also covered 3/4 with a towel so the red light is not bothering his sleep. It is nice and dark by his house.

I gave him Aureomycin powder for 4 days. I stopped for a couple days so he does not build a resistance. I plan to start the antibiotics up again Saturday. Its about 50/50 for him. Some times his nose is runny and some times its not. Yesterday is the first day I covered to top and got some humidity gauges to monitor it..... I was obviously very dry because 35% is all it registered when I put them in before I covered the top.

When I took these pictures it was 90 and 80-85% humidity on the cold side and 100 and 75-85%. Is this to high for day time? I am open to suggestions and appreciate the help.

cure.jpgcure.jpg cure1.jpg cure2.jpg

Cassidy Dixon

This is current picture in the middle of the night. I should add... his house has Spanish moss for bedding that I spray with a water bottle 3 times a day. I have poked holes under water dish, under his moss in house to pour water in. Obviously the sand side is getting dry a lot faster only reading 50% on hot side. Still 78% humidity and 84 degrees right next to his house.

cure3.jpg

Cassidy Dixon

I honestly do not have a UVB bulb. I am 100 miles from any pet store. I plan to have one here by next Wednesday off of amazon. Plan to get the florescent screw in "DRY DESSERT" UVB reptile bulb. For now he gets atleast 30 minutes of direct un filtered sun light through an open window and removed screen. I soak him every morning in warm water for 20-30 minutes.

DIET-

50% grass clippings
10% Crushed Mazuri
20% mixed weeds from my yard (chemical free)
20% Romaine Lettuce.

I do Mazuri sprinkled on greens every other day and calcium powder on greens every day. alternating of course.

Sorry to ramble on.... just want every detail out there incase someone has some constructive criticism. Thank you for the help. We love the little guy very much.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ukiah Ca.
Hello and welcome. @yvonne is real good with babies and others here. I know the sand has to go. Sorry. Your baby is real pretty. I hope she /he gets better for you .

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I honestly do not have a UVB bulb. I am 100 miles from any pet store. I plan to have one here by next Wednesday off of amazon. Plan to get the florescent screw in "DRY DESSERT" UVB reptile bulb. For now he gets atleast 30 minutes of direct un filtered sun light through an open window and removed screen. I soak him every morning in warm water for 20-30 minutes.

DIET-

50% grass clippings
10% Crushed Mazuri
20% Romaine Lettuce.

I do Mazuri sprinkled on greens every other day and calcium powder on greens every day. alternating of course.

Sorry to ramble on.... just want every detail out there incase someone has some constructive criticism. Thank you for the help. We love the little guy very much.
I don't know the bulb you mentioned, but don't use a coil bulb. They cause eye damage. Use a tube or mercury vapor types.
The diet sounds ok. I would use other stuff besides romaine. Escarole, endive, collard or mustard greens are good choices. The larger variety you can give the better.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
This is current picture in the middle of the night. I should add... his house has Spanish moss for bedding that I spray with a water bottle 3 times a day. I have poked holes under water dish, under his moss in house to pour water in. Obviously the sand side is getting dry a lot faster only reading 50% on hot side. Still 78% humidity and 84 degrees right next to his house.

View attachment 124496
The temps sound good. You might try plastic to cover the enclosure to get humidity up a bit. 80 percent is what i shoot for.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have the time to type out a long response, but I see several things that you need to be doing differently.

No sand. Fine grade orchid bark works best. Find it at any garden center.
No red bulbs. They need it dark at night but still warm. CHE with a thermostat works best.
Daily soaks.
Calcium twice a week.
Soak the Mazuri and mush it up with other greens.
No romaine. Use endive, escarole, spring mix or other things instead.

Its all in here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Where did you get your tortoise and how was it started? Humid and hydrated or dry method?

Cassidy Dixon

I don't have the time to type out a long response, but I see several things that you need to be doing differently.

No sand. Fine grade orchid bark works best. Find it at any garden center.
No red bulbs. They need it dark at night but still warm. CHE with a thermostat works best.
Daily soaks.
Calcium twice a week.
Soak the Mazuri and mush it up with other greens.
No romaine. Use endive, escarole, spring mix or other things instead.

Its all in here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Where did you get your tortoise and how was it started? Humid and hydrated or dry method?
Did you even read my entire post? I talk all about how I do the Mazuri calcium, soaks, bulb, how I get it dark, and I have a ceramic heater on order and will be here Wednesday. I have read both articles you posted.

No sand? Most fact sheets I have read say half sand half dirt.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

DIET-

50% grass clippings
10% Crushed Mazuri
20% Romaine Lettuce.

I'm not sure, but I THINK the bulb you're thinking of buying is the coil-shaped compact fluorescent bulb. Those are known to harm baby tortoises' eyes. Don't get that kind!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did you even read my entire post? I talk all about how I do the Mazuri calcium, soaks, bulb, how I get it dark, and I have a ceramic heater on order and will be here Wednesday. I have read both articles you posted.

The fact sheets you're reading are old.

Cassidy Dixon

Yes I decided against that bulb. I am going to order a MVB next payday. for now the sun time should do fine according to fact sheets. I got rid of the sand and replaced it with dirt. I will cut calcium back to every 3 days.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts

Sorry if I'm mistaken, but I just want to make sure. Ceramic heat emitters are not uvb sources, CHE's emit no light and only heat. I did see in your post you purchased a reptile desert bulb coming in on Wednesday (not sure if you ordered a che with that?), which sounds like you cancelled, and that's great you're getting the Mercury Vapor Bulb for daytime use, but the CHE was mentioned to replace the red light bulb for night time use.

Cassidy Dixon

Sorry if I'm mistaken, but I just want to make sure. Ceramic heat emitters are not uvb sources, CHE's emit no light and only heat. I did see in your post you purchased a reptile desert bulb coming in on Wednesday (not sure if you ordered a che with that?), which sounds like you cancelled, and that's great you're getting the Mercury Vapor Bulb for daytime use, but the CHE was mentioned to replace the red light bulb for night time use.
Yes. I ordered a CHE. It will be here Wednesday. I canceled the coil reptile florescent bulb so I can get a MVB.

Also have a question. After several days in the humid conditions he has more energy. He is moving around more and seems to explore. However now he is spending a lot of time sitting where it is 100. He has not gone in his house that is 80-82 since Saturday morning. Getting healthy making him crave the heat??

Cassidy Dixon

Tucker is doing amazing. Here he is this morning munching on some dandelions. The only thing I lack at this point is the mercury vapor bulb. Temps and humidity have been perfect day and night. No signs of runny nose since Thursday. I stopped the aureomycin water today. He is vey active compared to when he arrived. Thank you guys for all your help. I plan to get different substrate this weekend and probably make a bigger enclosure while im at it. dandilion.jpg

Cassidy Dixon

So I just came home to white fuzzy stuff all around his basking rock.... I would guess mold.... I didn't think to take a picture of it. I am on a hunt for the different substrate... sucks living in the sticks. I cleaned it all off. Is it going to hurt him?

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Wonderful job, yes mold is bad, hay when it gets wet starts to mold. But you caught in time. I'm sure.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
The fine grade orchid bark tom was talking about don't mold like that

Cassidy Dixon

Cant find that in town but I found cypress mulch. The wife is brining it home from work. I will dump all the dirt out and start over. Cypress mulch ok right? got it off 2.0 fact sheet