SULCATA HELP

Aine McCauley

Hi, I'm a new African sulcata tortoise owner and I'm just kind of worried for my little guy Pepper. He's about 7 months and I was wondering what a healthy 7 month old baby should look like. This isn't a very good quality photo, but I noticed Pepper's skin on his face start to look 'scabby'. I don't know if I'm just being crazy or I should soak him. I'm just trying to raise a healthy tortoise PLEASE HELP! #confused ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431059315.140035.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Aine, and welcome to the Forum!

You're right - that skin doesn't look right, but I'm at a loss as to tell you what to do about it.

Please read the pinned threads at the top of the Sulcata section. We have a whole lot of info there about how to take care of baby sulcatas. Once you get his home set up like we tell you to in those threads, you might start to see an improvement in his skin. (fingers crossed for you)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum, Aine. Routine soakings would be good for your sulcata. Be sure to keep the water warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Read the threads Tom included. Your baby needs daily soaks in Luke warm water, a humid enclosure, to stay hydrated, and have a varied diet. glad you found the forum and read AWAY!!

Aine McCauley

Ok thank you everybody! I started soaking my tortoise more often and now he's looking SOOO good!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It looks like he's dirty . What substrate are you using looks like coco choir is being used. If that's the case just put some cypress mulch on top . Helps keep him cleaner .

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Welcome to the Forum, Aine. Routine soakings would be good for your sulcata. Be sure to keep the water warm.
Lukewarm is better advised! Soaking under the sun is even better! ;)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
It looks like he's dirty . What substrate are you using looks like coco choir is being used. If that's the case just put some cypress mulch on top . Helps keep him cleaner .
I use a 50/50 mix of coco coir and coconut bark...this is the BEST possible substrate you can use...if only for the moisture retention value...and it's less prone to bacteria than other substrates!