Sulcata home

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaderWS6

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
What do you guys think about my new Sulcata hatchling setup? Also, I have included one of our flower gardens (any of these plants Sulcata friendly?) The three pots outside are all African succulents (Elephant bush, Jade plant, Flapjacks, and something else). I haven't added the Megaray MVB bulb yet (should arrive next week), and for night time heat there is a heating pad under the orange pot (set on a timer for night). The heating pad is under the plastic. I have also planted blue fescue seeds in the terrarium, which should begin growing soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU93E7UMW-8

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
to much sand, its to sandy. You should mix in some soil with the sand it will be better for the tortoise, The left side of the enclosure looks good just need to fix the sandy part.

VaderWS6

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Millerlite said:
to much sand, its to sandy. You should mix in some soil with the sand it will be better for the tortoise, The left side of the enclosure looks good just need to fix the sandy part.

I was kinda wondering about the sand myself, I'll go ahead an mix some soil in with it. Are the hiding areas ok?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love the nice big container, however sand is pretty bad because it causes impaction. They don't eat it on purpose, but they are pretty messy eaters, and the sand gets stuck on the food. Also, the lights need to be aimed down towards the floor of the habitat. You may need to figure out some sort of stand for the lights so they can shine down on the floor about 10 to 12 inches from the floor.

Good job. Your little guy will get plenty of exercise in there.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Agree on the sand.. as for the garden, i dont know those plants.. but the large lawn area.. I see a Huge area for future sulcata enclosures!!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Just wanted to comment on your landscaping.....beautiful. I take it you guys did that yourselves? Wow it was really windy there that day wasn't it?

VaderWS6

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Candy said:
Just wanted to comment on your landscaping.....beautiful. I take it you guys did that yourselves? Wow it was really windy there that day wasn't it?

Hey thanks! Actually, its one of my mom and dad's flower gardens. :p Yeah it was windy, I should have waited for a less windy day since the camcorder picked up too much noise..

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I agree to add something with the sand such as coconut fiber, organic potting soil, orchid bark, etc. Also, heating pads are not a good idea. Please search the forum for multiple explanations why to remove them from enclosures, and alternate heat sources.

A 100 watt Mega Ray will be 12-18 inches away from the substrate for safety and correct temperatures. It especially needs the bulb face parallel to the substrate. You will need a lamp stand to adjust the bulb height and to affix the fixture to, and a deep 10 inch diameter or more dome fixture with a ceramic socket.

I'd add more to the enclosure--things for the tort to walk around such as fake or real plants, log hide, hay to hide in, driftwood, etc. That size won't last you very long! One tip would be part of a slate tile for the tort to eat on. Also, a water dish. One hide should be in the cool area, and one in the warm area, at least (they hide almost all the time in the wild so you want lots of options, and not all the same type of hides). You may want to half bury the pots so the tort is on the flat substrate, not the pot surface (which is domed). The substrate should be much deeper than the tort.

Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.