Sulcata Outdoor Enclosure Walls

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hey TFO! I want to know what you are using as barriers for your bigger sulcatas (and I mean 60 lb and up). What did you do to make it escape proof. Thx guys!

-Drew

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I've had Walker since he hatched, he is now well over a hundred pounds. When he was young I used glass on his indoor enclosures, As he got bigger and spent time outside I used solid barrier walls (tall enough that he could not see over), that were made of galvanized metal. Since 2006 when I brought him to the Beach he has been living in the back yard year round with a chain link fence as the barrier. To keep him from pushing under the fence between the line post I wired wood to the bottom of the fence, which makes it ridged and can't be pushed out. I personally have not had a problem using fencing that can be seen through. He and the others walk the see through fence line just like they do with a barrier that can't be seen through or over. It is important to make sure they can't push it out from day one, once they do it they will try to do it again, and again. "they remember"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I raise mine in slumpstone blocks. An adult could push through in theory, but they never learn to try when raised behind these walls.

2x4 posts sunk into the ground with 24" high plywood strips in between will contain them just fine.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I made a wall out of metal roofing and 4/4 post about 18" high .