Sulcata Predatory Issues (UK)

HermannsJake

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi there, this is my first post here! I’ve used the site before but never made an account.

I am currently the happy owner of a 8 month old western hermann’s tortoise. My auntie has a 68 year old sulcata who she’s had since she was 14. I’d like to get a couple as her one is really personable. I live in the Kent in England (30 minute drive to the coast from my house) where the average temp in the summer is around 18°C - 27°C. I could easily knock up a suitable insulated house for them in the winter and cooler times but that’s not my worry. Here we have: mice, rats, grey squirrels, rabbits, merlin hawks, buzzards and the very occasional badger. Would any of those creatures cause any threat to a 2 year old sulcata? My main concern is when they brumate but the shed would be secure. The grey squirrels are spiteful bugas at the best of times and they’re probably my main concern. Would they pose a threat, or would any of the other creatures? We have badgers but I’ve only ever seen one walk past my driveway. Security from people isn’t an issue either.

Cheers, Jake

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hi there, this is my first post here! I’ve used the site before but never made an account.

I am currently the happy owner of a 8 month old western hermann’s tortoise. My auntie has a 68 year old sulcata who she’s had since she was 14. I’d like to get a couple as her one is really personable. I live in the Kent in England (30 minute drive to the coast from my house) where the average temp in the summer is around 18°C - 27°C. I could easily knock up a suitable insulated house for them in the winter and cooler times but that’s not my worry. Here we have: mice, rats, grey squirrels, rabbits, merlin hawks, buzzards and the very occasional badger. Would any of those creatures cause any threat to a 2 year old sulcata? My main concern is when they brumate but the shed would be secure. The grey squirrels are spiteful bugas at the best of times and they’re probably my main concern. Would they pose a threat, or would any of the other creatures? We have badgers but I’ve only ever seen one walk past my driveway. Security from people isn’t an issue either.

Cheers, Jake

Sulcatas do not brumate, so there would be no trouble there. Rats have been known to chew legs, so be sure nothing can get inside.

You may want to reconsider getting a Sulcata with temps like those. Sulcatas really do best in warm, humid areas where they don’t have to spend a good portion of their time in sheds. It can still be done, of course, but it’s not ideal.

If you want multiple, don’t get a pair. Tortoises do best alone, and while they can be kept in groups of three or more females, pairs usually don’t work because there’s always a dominant and a subordinate.

Be sure to give these a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Emily Contreras

Arizona
badgers eat anything. If you keep a young one outside, and a badger gets a hold of it, its gone. hawks, rats can also be a problem. To a young one.

To an adult, Badgers would probably avoid it. So would other things, rats could still be a problem though. Alot of rats dont even come up to them, though

Reactions: orv

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think you are talking about sulcatas. I think you are talking about "spur thigh tortoises" which is Testudo graeca. Can you post a pic for us? What size is her tortoise?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Cheers, Jake

Hi Jake

I am in Kent too - in Tonbridge

It is very unlikely your auntie has a Sulcata. A Sulcata is also known as an African Spurred Tortoise and aged 68 would weigh something like 150lb and they are very unusual in the UK. Your auntie undoubtedly has a Spur Thighed Tortoise aka Greek ... Testudo Graeca Ibera or Testudo Graeca Graeca like my Joe who we got in 1970

Joe lived outdoors 24/7 except when he hibernated. The only thing that was ever a threat were foxes when he was small... even a Buzzard is unlikely to take anything bigger than a very tiny tort.. Rats could be an issue, but it's more likely in hibernation. Our neighbour keeps pigeons and rats are around our garden from time to time, but they have never bothered Joe. Squirrels have never bothered Joe and they're all over the place as I feed the birds.

Have you seen my outdoor accommodation thread?
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

HermannsJake

London
I don't think you are talking about sulcatas. I think you are talking about "spur thigh tortoises" which is Testudo graeca. Can you post a pic for us? What size is her tortoise?

I don’t actually have a picture but i might be able to get her to send me one. It might be a spur thighed one but he’s around 15 inches across. Don’t know a lot about sulcatas so it not be one.

HermannsJake

London
Hi Jake

I am in Kent too - in Tonbridge

It is very unlikely your auntie has a Sulcata. A Sulcata is also known as an African Spurred Tortoise and aged 68 would weigh something like 150lb and they are very unusual in the UK. Your auntie undoubtedly has a Spur Thighed Tortoise aka Greek ... Testudo Graeca Ibera or Testudo Graeca Graeca like my Joe who we got in 1970

Joe lived outdoors 24/7 except when he hibernated. The only thing that was ever a threat were foxes when he was small... even a Buzzard is unlikely to take anything bigger than a very tiny tort.. Rats could be an issue, but it's more likely in hibernation. Our neighbour keeps pigeons and rats are around our garden from time to time, but they have never bothered Joe. Squirrels have never bothered Joe and they're all over the place as I feed the birds.

Have you seen my outdoor accommodation thread?
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

How old is Joe and how big is he?
Pretty sure it is a Greek then after googling a sulcata’s max size

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I will just add that Hermann’s, Greeks and Sulcatas are all solitary species. They don’t get lonely and don’t want or need a friend. Another tortoise is simply a rival for food and space. In the wild, they roam for miles, meet up to mate and move on.

Bullying is common, regardless of gender or relationship, and they should not be kept as pairs; nor should you mix species.

They will soon need an enclosure of at least 4’x8’ (1.5x2.2 metres) EACH. So you must think ahead about how you will accommodate these.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How old is Joe and how big is he?
Pretty sure it is a Greek then after googling a sulcata’s max size

Joe unfortunately had to be put to sleep last year after 47 years with us; he had a tumour. No idea how old he was as he would have been wild caught as they all were back then in the days before CITES. Over 50 was all we could say.

He was roughly 26cm and 3.2-3.4kg depending on the time of year. My outdoor thread linked to earlier tells you about him. He was particularly large for a male Greek.

There is an absolutely brilliant vet in Barming near Maidstone Hospital should you ever need one. He keeps tortoises himself. He is Mark Rowland at Trinity Vet Centre
http://trinityvetcentre.com/

HermannsJake

London
Joe unfortunately had to be put to sleep last year after 47 years with us; he had a tumour. No idea how old he was as he would have been wild caught as they all were back then in the days before CITES. Over 50 was all we could say.

He was roughly 26cm and 3.2-3.4kg depending on the time of year. My outdoor thread linked to earlier tells you about him. He was particularly large for a male Greek.

There is an absolutely brilliant vet in Barming near Maidstone Hospital should you ever need one. He keeps tortoises himself. He is Mark Rowland at Trinity Vet Centre
http://trinityvetcentre.com/

That’s a shame :(

Thanks for the vet recommendation though. I’m like 15 minutes from Maidstone, may come in handy