Sulcata tortoise temperature. What is the lowest temperature a sulcata can endure daily without getting sick?

igrescara

Location (City and/or State)
Barcelona
Hello there!

I currently have two 3 year old Sulcata Tortoises (they are around 3-4kg) and I was thinking what would be the minimum temperature that my tortoises could endure daily without getting sick.

I live in Spain, Catalonia, in a house with fenced outside backyard. The thing is that during most of the year I let them go outside to do as they please, and they can eat all sorts of grass, hay, etc (I try to feed them with a good diet). During the night I put them in an indoor inclosure because the temperatures drop below 10° celcius (50° Fahrenheit).

What happens is that now during the summer (from june-august) the LOWEST temperature during the night here can be between 15° Celsius (59° Fahrenheit) and 24° Celsius (75.2° Fahrenheit) and I let them sleep outside. They have been sleeping outside since 3 weeks ago now and I don't see any problem with them.

Is it good for them to sleep in these temperatures in the long term? What is the lowest temperature a sulcata can endure daily without getting sick?

Thank you! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hope no one knows the answer to your question. To know this would mean someone had to push the boundaries of known safe temps and let tortoises get sick. Instead, I will tell you what optimal temperatures are and how to keep them healthy.

In the wild, the ground temperatures where they make their burrows stay between 27 and 30C year round. This is the optimal night time temp. If your day time highs are 37+ every day in summer, like mine, then I don't mind their boxes dropping down to 23C at night because large sulcatas retain the heat from the day before, and they will heat back up again each day. If daytime highs are not reaching 35-37C, then warmer at night is better. Smaller sulcatas like yours need it warmer.

They should not sleep outside of their protective boxes because of predators and insects, as well as temperature control. I would not be comfortable with my tortoises sleeping outside because of the threat of ants, dogs, coyotes, scorpions, spiders, people, venomous snakes, rats, and anything else that would like to harm or kill them.

24 over night in summer time with high daytime ambient temps should be fine. 15C is getting way too cold for my comfort. Some of them survive cooler temps some of the time. But some others get sick and die at those temps. There are many variables to consider, like humidity, rain, day time high, amount of shade, evaporative cooling, etc...

For small sulcatas I would not let them drop below 26-27C at night. Here are two examples of how to do this:

Also very important: They should never live in pairs. They each need their own enclosure ASAP.

Much more info here, and a sulcata care sheet at the bottom:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
What Tom sent you is some great info. Read and ask any questions you might have.
My sully sleeps outside now and then. I have security cameras covering the backyard. But on those nights he sleeps outside. My nights are sleepless worrying about Opo. Thank goodness it's only about 3 or 4 times in the summer.
Like Tom said there are just to many critters out there. To have them sleep outside in the yard at night.