Sulcata Tortoise Transition

Ninjastarfish

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello !
I recently got a 5 year old Sulcata tortoise and am having trouble transitioning him to a proper diet. From what it sounds like, he was fed mostly kale and lettuces-romaine/green leaf, and he LOVES banana and blueberries. I know none of this is that good for him ! His previous owner stated that he never really cared for pellets. Now that I have him I am trying to transition him to grasses with Mazuri pellets and hibiscus leaves as the bulk of his diet.The trouble is, he won't eat grass. I have been chopping it up in small pieces mixing it with the foods he is familiar with, but he still eats around it. Does anyone have a trick or suggestion that will help transition him to the proper diet? I have 1/3 of an acre of lawn for him to mow, that is completely pesticide/ herbicide free. But he won't even taste it !!!
Thank you !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It takes a long time to transition a tortoise to the right kinds of food. You start by feeding him what he's used to, adding only a small amount of the good stuff, chopped up small and mixed in well. Over time - a long time, don't rush it - add more of the 'right' foods and less of the old diet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Yvonnes post. Tortoises are slow at all things they do.
As he gets used to eating a bit more of the better stuff, slowing put less and less of the bad stuff.

Ninjastarfish

Florida
That is what I am currently doing. I just wanted to see if there was a better way. I have one more question. His stools have been softer/wetter than they should be and very green and I know that is from the wetter lettuces. I know that it should be dark almost black and solid enough to clean up easily. Is there a way to help firm up their stools? I have read about giving pumpkin, but I don't know that he would even touch it. He is very picky !

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
More fiber in the diet will firm up the stools. Which means getting him to eat more grass. Try wetting the grass so that it sticks to the other foods. That way it is tougher for him to eat around the grass. It may take weeks, or even months, to get his diet switched to one that you want him to be eating.

huggies

5 Year Member
I am about to go through the same transitions with my guy.