Sunny all year long for tortoises that lives indoor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
This thread has been very interesting for me. Never thought to simulate overcast days and things like that. Guess I figured since I could control the weather, I would try to make it perfect everyday. Thanks for giving me some interesting ideas.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thank you so much for all the answers everyone :) I find this thread super interesting. I will start doing that this week. I can't wait to see how Hermy and Popcorn are going to react, they will only have the light that comes from the window. It is going to be very interesting to observe :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Isa said:
Thank you so much for all the answers everyone :) I find this thread super interesting. I will start doing that this week. I can't wait to see how Hermy and Popcorn are going to react, they will only have the light that comes from the window. It is going to be very interesting to observe :)

I wonder how or even if their reactions will be different because as both being captive their entire lives (as I recall, plus have they ever lived outside?) and always having their lights on for them, it will be different then for instance most of my tortoises, since my are mainly wild caught and/or use to warm season living outside.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Jacqui said:
Isa said:

I wonder how or even if their reactions will be different because as both being captive their entire lives (as I recall, plus have they ever lived outside?) and always having their lights on for them, it will be different then for instance most of my tortoises, since my are mainly wild caught and/or use to warm season living outside.

Good point Jacqui, Hermy goes outiside during the summer (exept at night, when it rains, when it is windy or when it gets too cold). The warm weather of the summer does not last too long here maybe 2 months and a half. Popcorn was born in July and he never went outside, it will be the first time for him this summer. Do you think it is still a good idea for me to create a natural light and heat variation for them?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Hmm, I keep Nelson's light on for 14 hours a day in the winter, per recommendation from another forum. This is to discourage him slowing down since it's colder out (and consequently my basement is very cold.) He also has a black light on 24/7 in the winter, otherwise his enclosure gets too cold.
In the summer his light is on for 12 hours.

This is a very interesting topic! I might consider modifying what I do...

Status
Not open for further replies.