Supply List

moohooses

Location (City and/or State)
Franklin, Wisconsin
So I've been researching Russian Torts for a bit now and I kind of have a plan going into this. I didn't buy anything yet or even build the enclosure, but I sort of made a list of supplies I'll need (excluding the enclosure, which I will be building) and I sort of want validation lol. I want to make sure my list of stuff doesn't have any problems and is not missing anything. :)

Attachments

• costs-converted.pdf
    105.2 KB · Views: 34

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Your list needs revision.

No reptile spot basking bulb.
No topsoil.
No sphagnum moss.
No peat moss.

Add:
Incandescent flood bulb, 65 watt.

Zilla thermostat:
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

1 or 2 clay flower pot saucers

Large bags of coco coir, cypress mulch, or orchid (fir) bark

Appliance timers

OR

Smart Power Strip with at least 4 outlets

1 of 2 care sheets:

OR

moohooses

Franklin, Wisconsin
Your list needs revision.

No reptile spot basking bulb.
No topsoil.
No sphagnum moss.
No peat moss.

Add:
Incandescent flood bulb, 65 watt.

Zilla thermostat:
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

1 or 2 clay flower pot saucers

Large bags of coco coir, cypress mulch, or orchid (fir) bark

Appliance timers

OR

Smart Power Strip with at least 4 outlets

1 of 2 care sheets:

OR

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm working on the changes. I'm wondering, though, should I use multiple substrates to successfully achieve a microclimate?

Thanks

moohooses

Franklin, Wisconsin

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm working on the changes. I'm wondering, though, should I use multiple substrates to successfully achieve a microclimate?

Thanks

TBH, I have no idea re' a microclimate.

Coco coir by itself is messy. It readily sticks to the tortoise, thus constantly filling the water dish.

Cypress mulch, some say, smells bad. It does come from a swamp, after all. I don't notice an odor, but my nose is not my strong point. :)

Orchid bark (fine grade) is especially good for babies, and forever after.

All 3 dampen and retain moisture well.

I, along with lots of other keepers, use 2 media for substrate. I use coco coir on the bottom, well moistened. On top, I have cypress mulch, also dampened, but not wet. Burmese stars like it hot and humid. So my closed chamber is around 90+% humidity, but the surface is not wet for him to walk/lay on.

You have live plants on your list. They are excellent, as you spritz their leaves they create microclimates around themselves.

In the end, it's whatever works for you. But no dirt, soil, peat, sand, pellets, moss, aspen, pine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I've been researching Russian Torts for a bit now and I kind of have a plan going into this. I didn't buy anything yet or even build the enclosure, but I sort of made a list of supplies I'll need (excluding the enclosure, which I will be building) and I sort of want validation lol. I want to make sure my list of stuff doesn't have any problems and is not missing anything. :)
What size and age tortoise are you planning on getting? Things are a little different for a tiny hatchling vs a full grown adult.

moohooses

Franklin, Wisconsin
What size and age tortoise are you planning on getting? Things are a little different for a tiny hatchling vs a full grown adult.
Right now I'm hoping for a well-started hatchling or a juvenile. I understand the main difference being humidity and enclosure size, right? As of now I'm planning for a 2x4, which I know is small but I'm also planning for 2 floors so I hope that makes up for it. I just don't really have room for much more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Right now I'm hoping for a well-started hatchling or a juvenile. I understand the main difference being humidity and enclosure size, right? As of now I'm planning for a 2x4, which I know is small but I'm also planning for 2 floors so I hope that makes up for it. I just don't really have room for much more.
2x4 is great for a baby!

moohooses

Franklin, Wisconsin
I updated my list of stuff based on the recommendations and some more research. Please let me know if any other changes can or should be made. I still have about a week before I start building the enclosure and buying the stuff and I think I can improve this list.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• costs_updated-converted.pdf
    87.6 KB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I updated my list of stuff based on the recommendations and some more research. Please let me know if any other changes can or should be made. I still have about a week before I start building the enclosure and buying the stuff and I think I can improve this list.

Thanks in advance!
That is a whole page of links to click on. Too much work for me.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Scratch the Turtle Hut. They are not acceptable as a humid hide. But if you just want it for decor, the tort might enjoy it. A good hide is an opaque dishwashing pan from Walmart. Turn it upside down, cut a door hole, and it's done.

The indoor therm/hygrometer. Get 1 or 2 of those to place in the enclosure. But you will find it useful to get one that has probes. The unit stays outside the enclosure, while the probes can be placed anywhere, even inside the hide. It gives an accurate reading at a specific point.

If you want to be able to dim your flood bulb, you'll need a rheostat.

That's all I can think of. Happy shopping!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
So I updated my supplies list if anyone wants to review it :)

What are the plants for? Are you putting somewhere separately from the enclosure? You're only using a 4 ft x 2 ft of space correct? Which means clutter should definitely stay at a minimum in my opinion.

Instead of purchasing the vivarium electronics T5 fixture and the reptisun 10.0 tube separately, why not just get a Arcadia ProT5 kit in 36 inch for only $5 dollars more? They 22 inch and 34 inch bulbs cost about the same when it comes to the Reptisun brand. And it'll be big enough to put in the next enclosure upgrade.

I prefer using food/weather branded thermometer/hygrometers because the sensors they have are durable and will hold up to tortoise abuse. The battery housing is protected from substrate seeping in. I use something like this and an infrared temperature reader.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKH666P/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Better deal on incandescent flood bulbs. Always buy bulk and as much as you can stock during deals if you haven't switched to reptile heat panels.

I don't like using cypress mulch. In my opinion, cypress mulch is kind of like an inferior version of fir bark. The only two I recommend are coco coir and fir bark. For hatchlings I always recommend coco coir because it's probably the best insulating substrate for them. When they become bigger add fir bark into the mixture and get the best of both substrates. Here is an example from Home Depot. You can probably find it a bit cheaper on Amazon:

How come I don't see any slate tiles or terracotta plant saucers? What are you planning on doing for water and feeding dishes?

What are you going to do about hides/hide boxes?

moohooses

Franklin, Wisconsin
What are the plants for? Are you putting somewhere separately from the enclosure? You're only using a 4 ft x 2 ft of space correct? Which means clutter should definitely stay at a minimum in my opinion.

Instead of purchasing the vivarium electronics T5 fixture and the reptisun 10.0 tube separately, why not just get a Arcadia ProT5 kit in 36 inch for only $5 dollars more? They 22 inch and 34 inch bulbs cost about the same when it comes to the Reptisun brand. And it'll be big enough to put in the next enclosure upgrade.

I prefer using food/weather branded thermometer/hygrometers because the sensors they have are durable and will hold up to tortoise abuse. The battery housing is protected from substrate seeping in. I use something like this and an infrared temperature reader.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKH666P/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Better deal on incandescent flood bulbs. Always buy bulk and as much as you can stock during deals if you haven't switched to reptile heat panels.

I don't like using cypress mulch. In my opinion, cypress mulch is kind of like an inferior version of fir bark. The only two I recommend are coco coir and fir bark. For hatchlings I always recommend coco coir because it's probably the best insulating substrate for them. When they become bigger add fir bark into the mixture and get the best of both substrates. Here is an example from Home Depot. You can probably find it a bit cheaper on Amazon:

How come I don't see any slate tiles or terracotta plant saucers? What are you planning on doing for water and feeding dishes?

What are you going to do about hides/hide boxes?
I think I have water and feeding dishes. I would have to check though. I still have to check about the hides. I might make something. If not, I'll buy something. Thank you for the other suggestions, though. They were really helpful.