Swollen eyes

kaz07

5 Year Member
My horsefield has got swollen eyes that wont open and hes not eatting. Can anyone give me some advise altho he will be going the vets first thing tomorrow. Thanks x

kaz07

5 Year Member
Some pic's

Attachments

• 1412626966654.jpg
    1412626966654.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 1412626983821.jpg
    1412626983821.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 67

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA

kaz07

5 Year Member
No I use the long thin ones but thank you xx

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Soaking in baby carrot food 1st foods mixed with a little water can help, if it's not due to the bulb. But it might be because of the bulb.

kaz07

5 Year Member
Took him to the vet today and she gave him a injection and drops then told us if he wouldnt take the drops we should put him down...i wasn't happy with this and phoned around to be told no there is so much more that can be done but its gonna cost us quite a bit. After 30mins of trying I finally got the drops in him tonight. Ill try the soaking in cattot and water tomorrow thanks xx

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
If it's not the bulb it could be a severe vitamin a deficiency or eye infection or respiratory infection. I don't believe he needs to be put down, please don't put him down without trying to correct what has happened to this poor baby. :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What are the drops? More importantly, what is it that they injected into the tort...please share what the enclosure is that you are housing the tort in? What substrate, temps, lighting used, food offered---where did the tortoise come from?

There are alot of things that you can do that cost little to no money....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put him down? That's just lazy on their part. They don't want to try to figure out what's wrong with him so they take the easy way out (for them).

It's fairly easy to get a turtle/tortoise's eyes open, but you still have to try to figure out WHY this happened in the first place and correct it or they'll just swell shut again.

So, clear your mind of everything you thought you knew about caring for your tortoise, and re-read the care sheet. This is a pretty good one:

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

After you've read the sheet, make adjustments where necessary. Take temperature reading all over the floor of his habitat to be sure the temperature is where it is supposed to be according to that care sheet. Make sure your habitat is big enough that the tortoise has space to walk around. Sometimes a tortoise that is kept in a too small habitat gets depressed and just stays in a corner. Get a large enough enclosure and make it interesting for him.

Good luck with your tortoise. Please don't take that vet's advice. Swollen eyes is NOT a death sentence.

kaz07

5 Year Member
Defo not putting him down, just glad im not gullible enough to think that was the only way. He had his second drop tonight plus to pieces of cucumber after putting to bits in his mouth he was chomping for more...thanks for ur support it means alot and ill keep u posted xx