Taking outside

AZRT

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I just read a thread here about letting your tortoise roam inside a house and it stated that once they are used to a big environment its hard for them to settle back to their smaller enclosure. I want to take my hatchling out this week and get some real sun. Should I just carry his whole enclosure out there so he gets sun but doesn’t find out about the real world? Lol

P

pguinpro

I've also been wondering same, I've taken him out to roam and feed on various grasses and when he goes back in his enclosure he seems to be more active like trying to get out but eventually settles down.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's what I do. Makes it much easier on the baby to be kept in his familiar surroundings.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I just read a thread here about letting your tortoise roam inside a house and it stated that once they are used to a big environment its hard for them to settle back to their smaller enclosure. I want to take my hatchling out this week and get some real sun. Should I just carry his whole enclosure out there so he gets sun but doesn’t find out about the real world? Lol

You can set up and indoor as well as outdoor enclosure....the tort will get use to what is going on....likely will always enjoy outdoor enclosure more....but will be trained to do both. But make certain the outdoor enclosure is super secure from predators.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For all babies, I have an indoor and an outdoor enclosure. I use the outdoor enclosures during fair weather, and I move the babies back and forth regularly. All of them get used to it, and it causes no problems of any kind for me.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
For all babies, I have an indoor and an outdoor enclosure. I use the outdoor enclosures during fair weather, and I move the babies back and forth regularly. All of them get used to it, and it causes no problems of any kind for me.

Hmmm...interesting, we kinda agree on this...weird...it must be the midnight plus hour Tom ;)

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I use indoor and outdoor for my Russian. He loves being outdoors and is much more active and content when out. Im dreading the winter [emoji25]

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have an enclosure inside and a pen outside. My tortoise goes outside in the morning and comes inside at night. You can buy cinder blocks, or wood fairly cheap to set something up outside. However if your tortoise is really small I wouldn't suggest leaving them outside unsupervised much.

AZRT

Arizona
I have an enclosure inside and a pen outside. My tortoise goes outside in the morning and comes inside at night. You can buy cinder blocks, or wood fairly cheap to set something up outside. However if your tortoise is really small I wouldn't suggest leaving them outside unsupervised much.

Ha ha yes he’s a hatchling. He won’t be outside unsupervised for a while ;)

AZRT

Arizona
Well I took him outside for the first time today without the cage and he seems to love it. Was just cruising around checking everything out. Will be nice when it finally drops below 100 permanently and I can do it more

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Some people use kiddie paddling pools for temp outdoor enclosures.