Taking quarantine seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattboy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco, CA
I just wanted to share my recent experience from attempting to assemble a new colony of graeca in my tortoise breeding efforts. Many of you helped me identify some of animals via pictures here and for that I am grateful.

I am posting this just as an example of how serious quarantine observation periods can be. Upon receipt of the first 2.2 graeca, one male immediate fell ill with symptoms that appeared to be pneumonia-like. He perished several days later. About a week and a half later, the female that he arrived with also fell ill and went through treatment with two different sets of antibiotics and nearly fully recovered. During her illness, I administered meds and had to tube feed her for a period as she went off food as her illness set in.

I had quarantined the pair and taken precaution to ensure the other two were no where near other species that I kept. I discovered that the other female was not a female at all and sought more females to build up an adequate sex ratio for the colony.

New animals arrived which I again kept separate and monitored. Many of the graeca (goldens of two types) demonstrated minor RNS but nothing major. Most I didn't treat but optimized their environment to the warm/hot and dry that they like and they responded.

At this point I was keeping 3 different quarantined groups of graea but collectively was still off in sex ratios for a future breeding group. I was offered a few more females to balance that equation which put me in the position of having 4 separately maintained quaratine groups.

Fast forward a couple of weeks. The handful of sickly animals that I had which were all maintained solo up to now were not fully recovered. I had not had experience like this before where new imports did not recover with traditional treatment plans for stress, parasites and URI. Additionally while medicating and force feeding, I noticed some things I had never seen before. I took two of the animals to UC Davis vet school to have pathology run on them.

It took 6 weeks to get the results but of the 15 animals that have come to me from 3-4 different import groups, 3 have been confirmed with herpes virus and 1 with micoplasma.

Taking in newly imported animals can sometimes be fairly straight forward. Other times it can get quite crazy, expensive and dangerous.

I keep 3 other species of tortoises which are all stable breeding assurance colonies. Herpes virus is a serious threat, particular in a large collection setting.

I post this not to scare you but to paint a picture of what is at stake sometimes when individuals recommend taking quarantine seriously. Sometimes it can be much more serious than just worms, flagellates or bacterial infections.

I know there has been a lot of discussion lately both here and other forums about taking in WC animals. If you keep groups of animals, its definitely something to be aware of and effective quarantine and husbandry should be managed with this in mind.

Hope you find this helpful or at least eye opening.

Respectfully,

Paul R

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Paul, thank you. Your experience shows just how very important quarantine time is. Hopefully everyone will heed your warning. I am sorry you had to go through this experience and that even with your quarenteen you paid a steep price some of your animals. And with all that you have endured lately to think of us at Tortois Forum. org speeks volumes for you. Take care and I hope you know good thought are sent your way.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Yes, Thank You so much for posting your hard experiences ~ it's great that you were smart enuf to keep the newbies quarantined ~ Xllnt advice, bud!

Best wishes for all to gain and remain healthy!
Purpod

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Paul: It is my understanding that the Herpes virus never dies, but you can control the symptoms. So if you have a Herpes tortoise, it would always have to be by itself, correct?

Yvonne

P.S. June has come and gone, and no Paul...what happened to your road trip?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I meant to also add, that quarantine by itself really doesn't do any good. You also have to have either blood tests or stool exams on both the colonies...yours and the new ones.

Yvonne

rattboy

10 Year Member!
San Francisco, CA
emysemys said:
Hi Paul: It is my understanding that the Herpes virus never dies, but you can control the symptoms. So if you have a Herpes tortoise, it would always have to be by itself, correct?

Yvonne

P.S. June has come and gone, and no Paul...what happened to your road trip?

I have been a bad planner Yvonne :( Jim got busy and then I started working on the new house which has consumed my weekends. I will make it happen before the season is over.

And yes, Herpes virus for torts is a lot like herpes virus for us except ours isn't as dangerous. Once infected a Herpes tortoise has it for life and most animals during an episode or outbreak, either perish or require significant treatment to get beyond the outbreak stage. Once confirmed, the animal would need to live alone. Mixing infected animals isn't recommended either as new strains of the virus can occur.

Most stressed herpes tortoises just don't make it. So the only choices left for a Herpes infected animal is to live alone, provided a keeper is able to maintain isolated husbandry or euthanasia. I donated the animals to science and they will be euthanized and become necropsied case studies for the veterinary school.

Paul

rattboy

10 Year Member!
San Francisco, CA
emysemys said:
I meant to also add, that quarantine by itself really doesn't do any good. You also have to have either blood tests or stool exams on both the colonies...yours and the new ones.

Yvonne

Correct again. The quarantine simply allows you to observe. I only confirmed the pathogens via test results from a swab of the infected area of the mucous membranes It was expensive (est $125 per animal) and took a fair bit of time. To make matters more complex, animals can be herpes carriers and show no outward signs. This is generally where CB is considered safer, however herpes adults pass herpes to their young as well.

To make matters even more complex, most of the affordable tests can only detect herpes when it is in an outbreak stage. I believe micoplasma screening can be done at any time. The blood tests that would attempt to detect a viral infection are supposedly so expensive as to not be affordable to most keepers.

Paul

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's very sad, Paul. But good of you to donate the poor tortoises to science. Maybe some day something can be done for it.

Yvonne

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Thanks so much for this post Paul. Sorry you had to go through all of this, sorry anyone has to go through this sort of ordeal really.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Really glad you posted this Paul. Always good to know that what we are advocating to do, with quarantine, really does work.
I almost hate to post here, where's my wood (knocking the heck out of it now). I have never had this problem and hopefully I never will.
Which of the greeks had the virus Paul?

Danny

rattboy

10 Year Member!
San Francisco, CA
egyptiandan said:
Really glad you posted this Paul. Always good to know that what we are advocating to do, with quarantine, really does work.
I almost hate to post here, where's my wood (knocking the heck out of it now). I have never had this problem and hopefully I never will.
Which of the greeks had the virus Paul?

Danny

I certainly didn't expect it and hope that most don't encounter it. It made it clear to me how easy it would be to have an epidemic in my captive collection and how easy it would be for a person who meant well to spread the virus to wild animals. I'm sure you all have heard about the micoplasma outbreak several years back that affected Californias desert tortoises from non-native animals released in the area.

All three herpes tortoises were of different morph types: a jordanian, a golden (large variety) and an antakyan. The micoplasma tortoise is an antakyan.

Paul

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If this old memory is working properly today, I seem to remember Ed talking a while back about introducing a herpes leopard into his group and he lost the whole group. Ed?

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Such an interesting story. Sorry that it happened to you, but grateful that you shared your experience. High cost for both you and the poor tortoises.

Now you said, as I recall, while you were tubing and medicating you saw things you hadn't before....what were they?

rattboy

10 Year Member!
San Francisco, CA
Jacqui said:
Such an interesting story. Sorry that it happened to you, but grateful that you shared your experience. High cost for both you and the poor tortoises.

Now you said, as I recall, while you were tubing and medicating you saw things you hadn't before....what were they?

Herpes is known to create plaques or lesions in the mucous membranes. I had seen pictures in the past while reading up on the infection. As I tube fed one of the animals, I noticed several lesions which led me to suspect herpes and led me to the vet school.

Additionally the symptoms they go through are very unlike typical RNS/URI. They gurgle and hoot from deep in the lungs, like an advanced case of pneumonia. They gape a lot while emitting a honking noise which seems routed in their inability to breath normally. The gaping occured about every 5 secs at its worse - even while sleeping.

The throat and mucous membrane coloration turned almost red/purple versus light pink, almost looking necrotic.

The early onset on one of the animals was a foaming of the mouth followed by the pneumonia-like breathing / honking and eventually the necrotic-like coloring.

All in all, quite different than tortoises with stress or parasite induced URI.

I was shocked that a few of the animals actually were nursed past the symptomatic portion of the disease. I had not heard of too many examples where the animals didn't just die which threw me for a loop until I got the test results that confirmed the infection.

At that point, the vet pretty much said, good job nursing them BUT they are infected animals nonetheless and that my options were...find them a solo home with care giver that is willing to care for a very *special needs* animal AND willing to keep it safe from others for eternity or consider euthanisia. I went with the latter which is something I have never done before as a keeper but feel it was the right thing to do to mitigate any further risk to other animals.

Paul

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Paul, I hope that you have notified the people you obtained these animals from. If so what was their reactions. I realize these were WC but if they were housed with others and they were more than likely, then the others have been exposed. Are you comfortable letting us know who you obtained these animals from, (I am not saying that they knew the torts were ill) that way we out here in Tortoise Forum.org-land are not purchasing sick or exposed animals from these people.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Wow, the whole scenario sounds just awful! Gratefully, you saved your crew from such a fate! I have learned alot from your horrible experience, and once again thank you for the continued information.

Purpod

rattboy

10 Year Member!
San Francisco, CA
Crazy1 said:
Paul, I hope that you have notified the people you obtained these animals from. If so what was their reactions. I realize these were WC but if they were housed with others and they were more than likely, then the others have been exposed. Are you comfortable letting us know who you obtained these animals from, (I am not saying that they knew the torts were ill) that way we out here in Tortoise Forum.org-land are not purchasing sick or exposed animals from these people.

I haven't gone the route of notifying them but it is a good idea.

I will follow up with the suppliers of the infected animals and be happy to tell anyone who sends me a personal note where I got them from.

Posting it here could lead to the wrong outcome since online postings can be misused.

Hope you understand.

Paul

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Paul once more really sorry for what you have gone thru, but on the reverse side, it is wonderful to be able to read and get more understanding of what all happened and was experienced. Thank you so very much for sharing this horrible experience with all of us. It is very much appreciated.

I had thought also about what Dee was suggesting. Just the thought of how many other animals could be passing this on to other animals and colonies is worrisome.

Status
Not open for further replies.