Tankmates?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I know people sometimes keep shrimp or snails in a turtle tanks, but anyone keep crawfish or fiddler crabs in a tank with a mud turtle?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have kept them in fish tanks and if they can catch the fish, they will be having a sushi dinner. I'm guessing they would eat on the turtle too if they can get him. Just a guess.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have kept them in fish tanks and if they can catch the fish, they will be having a sushi dinner. I'm guessing they would eat on the turtle too if they can get him. Just a guess.
Thanks.
I will probably stick with fish (thinking cory cats and danios) and maybe ghost shrimp.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Crawfish also love to escape.
They climb up air hoses, etc.
Talk about creepy...imagine finding a half dried, half dead crayfish on the way to the bathroom at 2:30 am.

:eek: YUCK!!! I’d rather NOT!!![emoji33]

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Amphipods are tiny "shrimp" that act as clean up crew. They are too small to be easily eaten by the turtle but the fish will eat them. They can even be raised in the filter.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Amphipods are tiny "shrimp" that act as clean up crew. They are too small to be easily eaten by the turtle but the fish will eat them. They can even be raised in the filter.

Oh, WOW!!! I think I’ll google those guys!!!! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I am currently reading a book on “The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium” to hopefully get a working understanding of what I might be able to do in a bigger tank for Jacques.

I’m beginning to think that floating plants, plants tied to driftwood or planted in pots are the only things that might survive my adorable little bulldozer!!!
[emoji263][emoji217][emoji261][emoji261][emoji261]

seanang168

10 Year Member!
My red ear slider would eat snails if she sees one. I ever caught snails from my planted tank and threw them to the slider tank and she would eat.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I have put a couple fiddler crabs in with my razor-back musk turtles. The big crab survived roughly 40 minutes before being a high-calcium snack. The smaller one could hide pretty well and did alright for about 2 months before also being a snack.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have put a couple fiddler crabs in with my razor-back musk turtles. The big crab survived roughly 40 minutes before being a high-calcium snack. The smaller one could hide pretty well and did alright for about 2 months before also being a snack.
:eek: Oh, MY!!!!!! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing that information!!!!!
There will be NO fiddler in with my mud turtle!!!!!!! :):tort:

seanang168

10 Year Member!
I thought mud turtles were mainly carnivorous? :confused:
I had a lot of excess duckweed from my planted tank and I put some into my slider tank and it was gone very very fast. I never knew my slider to eat plants. Also I think the turtle might dig out any aqua plants you placed. It is not easy to keep plants and turtles together

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Duckweed and hornwort grow like crazy in all of my mud and musk tanks. At least once a year, my adult yellow mud turtle will eatthe duckweed and then doesn’t eat for a month or so (it makes me worry every time).