Temp problem

kcarlile08

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
I am having problems keeping Temps in my enclosure. I have a CHE on o e end and a basking lamp on the other end. I went up in wattage of the bulb because it wasn't warm enough, but now I am wondering if it too warm. The end with the CHE shows 95 in the space beneath it but the side with a lamp shows 101. Here is a picture of my enclosure. The black square in the background is a heat pad attached to the tank but it is not currently plugged in.

1444343702103.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you used just the light during the day and the Che only at night, what would your temps be? Maybe moving the light closer to the middle will help take care of the day temp and then do the same with the Che at night.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
And put the CHE on a thermostat, if it isn't. Put the probe in the coolest spot. This will maintain a minimum enclosure temp, day and night.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
101 is fine for the basking spot. The cool side should be in the 80's.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
One more thing. I noticed the disc thermometer. Those are horribly inaccurate. You can get digital thermometer at Lowe's for about 10 dollars. They measure humidity too. A temp gun is invaluable, if you don't have one, you can get them at Lowe's also.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do you have the CHE and the mercury vapor bulb on at the same time? Also, do you have the top of the tank covered? As stated above I would move the mercury vapor bulb more to the middle. And try covering the top of the enclosure not directly under the lights with tinfoil or plexiglass. This will help keep heat and humidity in. I got this from Amazon for $10.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444354909.007973.jpg

kcarlile08

Montana
Thanks for the replies. I will try tomorrow with just the light during day. I do not have the che on a thermostat so could try that too. I dont use a mercury vapor bulb just a basking light bulb. My thermometers are small round digital ones are those different than the one you are mentioning from lowes? I will have to look online for a temp gun

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of the following is intended as constructive criticism to help your baby thrive. Here is what I see:
1. Basking bulb sound fine.
2. 95 under the CHE on the "cool" side all day is not so good. Get a thermostat and set the CHE on that. It will keep things warm enough day and night, but not too hot. Here are a couple that I like:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller
3. You need 3-4 times that amount of substrate.
4. You don't need the heat mat.
5. Your tortoise needs a humid hide. The half log is fine, but its not a humid hide. I use dishwashing tubs from Walmart for $1.82. Flip it upside down, cut out a small door hole, wet the substrate under it a bit.

Hope this helps.

kcarlile08

Montana
Ok since this first post I have gotten my Temps regulated and at the right temperature. But had another question related to @Tom post. I did add alot more substrate and an actual humid hide made from a plastic container but now my tort has taken to just sleeping in a corner that she digs out. And hasn't seemed to go in the hide at all, is this something I should change or does she know what she is doing and leave her be?