Terrestrial turtle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, box turtles, for example, but they have their own category. Flower back box turtle, mouhotii, cuora - to name just a few. There are quite a few "box turtle" types from other countries. This is one of my favorites, but they don't hibernate, so I don't keep them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indochinese_box_turtle

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I am curious, what type or species or turtles fall into this category? Do they require land and water?
There is really no exact, or correct answer to this question. It is a question of degree as to how much time a certain species will prefer to stay on land vs in the water as its primary habitat. But that can also change depending upon the turtle's age. In the US, the most "terrestrial" turtle is the box turtles. Some species of box turtles will rarely go into water. From there you have the "semi-terrestrial" turtles. Going from most terrestrial to least in the US, you would have the N Amer. Wood, Muhlenberg, Western Pond, Blandings, Spotted, and perhaps some Muds.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
There is really no exact, or correct answer to this question. It is a question of degree as to how much time a certain species will prefer to stay on land vs in the water as its primary habitat. But that can also change depending upon the turtle's age. In the US, the most "terrestrial" turtle is the box turtles. Some species of box turtles will rarely go into water. From there you have the "semi-terrestrial" turtles. Going from most terrestrial to least in the US, you would have the N Amer. Wood, Muhlenberg, Western Pond, Blandings, Spotted, and perhaps some Muds.
Thanks