Testudo hermanni boettgerie albinos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
France
I found this specimens for sale on a site.
It's a swiss men who have them.
Testudo hermanni boettgerie albinos are very rare. :tort:
I ask him and he tells me that the first one was selling 6000€ ... ouch so expensive !!! but so nice and rare.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
They look interesting...but I wouldn't want one. I like the colors of the original.

I do think the albino red eared sliders look cool and I like albino snakes.

I wonder how light/uv will effect them. If I remember correctly most albinos are sensitive to light.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Creatures of the sun... ALBINO! They are condamned to an indoor life... not being able to walk under sunlight without being harmed, I think...
Offering to that Swiss even 60$ will be wrong. Not to mention the price- he really has lots of guts to ask 6000 Euro!!!
The snob buying them, even for a much lower price, will give that unethical guy a reason to selective breed his albinos, to make more, since the trap works... and that would be totally wrong!
I would be very unhappy to get an albino baby in a clutch, but that Swiss fox seems to have no ethics at all... but an acute sense of money-making opportunities.
I hope that nobody will buy those poor albinos, and if he is not in the mood to offer them the care they need, maybe he will consider donation to a gentle-hearted person that will keep them without breeding them further...

...or...

... he should not let the parents meet again, since they are maybe homozygous for albinism- possibly related individuals, since Swiss are breeding legal, captive boettgeri for some time, and many of the breeding adults coming from the same source. They had to be switched to other mates, but I am affraid that the guy will use exactly that pair to obtain even more "rarities"...

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
i precise just that i didn't ask 6000€ he said make offers in his ad and by mail he tells me that somebody propose 6000€.
You are right about the sun, it will be very hard to keep them outdoor. poor lil baby.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Why do this to a sun requiring animal? I have albino corn snakes but they do not require UVB like our friend the tortoise.

Why breed something like this????

I would not condone this and certainly would not spend a king's ransom on one.

Support good breeding...not this crap. I can't see how an albino tort would grow to be a healthy adult.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"Why breed something like this????"

The same reason that people produce albino corn snakes and other "designer" animals. Because there is a demand for the unique and different. Demand along with rarity allows the supplier to set his own price. That price is usually a very high one. That is the primary reason that uncommon genetic strains are bred in captivity because rarity=money, usually big money for the first generation of breeders. That price usually drops once the supply meets or exceeds the demand. Does anyone remember how expensive most species of albino snakes were 20+ years ago? Now they're common and by comparison, much less expensive than they were back when there was a lot fewer of them.

Albino tortoises do grow to be healthy adults. And sucessfully reproduce in captivity. It's already taken place with Sulcata and Redfoots, as well as a few turtle species, namely Red-Ear Sliders.

Although it may sound as though I'm in favor of the practice of purposely producing albinos in captivity, I actually am not. I have yet to see an albino reptile or amphibian that I like the looks of or would care to have. But that's just my preference. I do not believe in purposely producing albinos for the sake of profit. But some people apparently do.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I agree with Fabian. I realize there is demand for unusual pets, but from a health standpoint, an albino animal (especially a basking reptile) is less desirable, not more desirable. They should not cost more, they should cost less. And personally, I would not buy one at all.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Found out that there's a breeder of albino Hermann's (among others) in New York state...offering none at this point, and no idea what they'll eventually be offered for, but presume they'll be pretty pricey for the next few decades.

I know if I had some breeders, I'd keep the offspring until I could identify the individual genders, then only sell males for a while...

DSC_4670.JPG

DSC_4751.JPG

http://albinosunlimited.com/welcome-albinos-unlimited-inc-0

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
They lack the charm of a normal Hermann's. I like the yellows and black...only the albino red eared sliders appeal to me...but still wouldn't buy one.

I have albino corn snakes and they're interesting but the hermann's just look weird in a bad way.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
GBtortoises said:
IMO these are absolutely butt-ugly!

Ditto, Gary. The beauty and charm of Hermanns' appearance is in their beautiful colors contrasted with black. I couldn't explain, though, why these are ugly while Aladar is gorgeous.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal

expo tort

5 Year Member
Everyone who bashed on the torts be quiet! All tortoises are the cutest things no matter how they look albino, ghost or anything. So be quite I'd buy one in a heart beet. I bet if u saw an albino sulcata u wouldn't feel the same.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Yeah, they are cute anyway... it is about the first impression, being quite sinistre. Still an innocent tortoise, with that sad mouth :(... they always have that mouth, while Leopard Geckos are always smiling :).
Hypomelanistic is one, but fully, red-eyed albinos are condamned... Basking reptiles lacking the natural sun-protection... aberrant.
If I would be able to care about, I would offer a home to such a tortoise, but no way paying for it other than a symbolic price (I would buy the casual albino appearing, but if I would find that someone intentionally breeds them, I'd have some tough words to say to that man)... This thing it's rather called "asylum", not tortoise keeping. Tortoise keeping means ALL, from the outdoor enclosure where they could explore and feed, to breeding them- since I would NEVER breed them.

Yeah, I know, lower exposure to UVB bulbs, oral D3 and other stuff... but it's starting to look like Star Trek- and how many will have the knowledge to take care properly of such an infirm animal?
I prefer to see them outdoors in the dirt, chasing snails or grazing under the morning sun.

Propagating such unhappy animals, using adjacent "market strategies" as selling late, and "males only" sounds horrible mercantile, narrow and sad... how can one enjoy the profits obtained in that way?? By throwing in the market more albino tortoises, means producing infirm animals in the detriment of healthy animals. While arguing that there in the US, keepers are very careful with their scarce, precious tortoises, and don't risk hibernation, propagating inapt mutants it's just ok?? This species is protected, not a toy for snobs or kids!! It's not Guppy!!
What's precious- the normal animal, by itself, or the poor mutant wich can bring you some bucks, but having a life limited in options? Loving tortoises, or just loving gain on infirm animal's account?

Status
Not open for further replies.