Thanks to Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaF

5 Year Member
Changes in my lttle redfoot have been so amazing I just had to create this post. I have learned so much from turtletary.com and extra advice from Terry K (AKA Redfoot Nerd) has been invaluable. It has totally turned my little RF tort around. Since simulating a “near or edge” of forest environment with correct temperature, high humidity, and low lighting my tort has a totally different personality. I no longer have to remove him from his hide to be fed. He eagerly comes out to eat, and not just on cat food day! Since his humidity and temp needs are being met and there is no longer a burning bright heat light, he has proven he is smart enough to move to a warmer or cooler spot. Best of all he will self soak! Since he no longer needs to fear me forcing him out of his hide to soak and eat, he is more curious and gregarious. Less handling has made him less afraid and more engaging. He is so active now it is unbelievable. Granted he won’t play ball or fetch, but he must be happier now if his activity level is any indication. He still likes to hide, but it is so amusing to see him move from hide to hide and explore during the day perhaps creating a new hiding place of his own. Now I just need to work on not over feeding him since he has turned into such a little beggar.

Thanks Terry for all your help! You didn’t have to respond to all my urgent emails, or frantic voice mails to read my emails over the past year, but you did and I and Tuck are forever grateful! You never told me what I wanted to hear, but you would always tell me what I needed to hear. :D

methos75

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
Mine were the complete opposite, I did everything that was mentioned and they never came out at all. But as soon as I added brighter lights, they are always out and more interactive now. I think the temps and high humidity is needed, but from what I and other keepers on here are seeing, the low lighting might be incorrect. This needs more research.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice post. Terry has always been very helpful to me too.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
methos75 said:
Mine were the complete opposite, I did everything that was mentioned and they never came out at all. But as soon as I added brighter lights, they are always out and more interactive now. I think the temps and high humidity is needed, but from what I and other keepers on here are seeing, the low lighting might be incorrect. This needs more research.

It would be interesting to change one variable at a time- temps, humidity, etc., and see which make the most difference for the most people.

However- there is also a lot of variation in how people do little things- how much noise/vibration and movement is there outside the habitat? What is the overall daytime schedule like (lights on, feeding, cleaning, etc.) and so forth that things that work for one do not always work for another.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Terry is always helpful, always willing to help. We have had many long conversations discussing the care of tortoises and I always learn so much from him every time. Great post Linda!

-Matt

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Linda, that is great news!! Glad to hear that your tortie is happy and healthy!! Keep up the good work! Post some pictures!!!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Terry has always given me good advice and insight on redfoots. Thanks again. Wow! Are you blushing yet,Terry?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Ditto to all the things everyone has said to Terry. He's a great, knowledgable breeder that I would love to purchase tortoises from someday.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I don't think Terry will know what to do when he reads all of this. A whole post dedicated to praising him! Ha! Good job Terry!

-Matt

allegraf

10 Year Member!
TerryK knows his stuff! But like everything, everyone needs to find what works for them for where they live. Every environment is different as is every tort!

Allegra

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
I just want to point out before it gets out of hand, if it could possibly, this forum is pretty mature so I doubt it would. But I am not stating Terry k is wrong. Like others I found his caresheets invaluable and fortunately for my tortoises being a long time reptile keeper, as soon as I rescued my two guys I went online and researched, researched, and researched again everything I could and found this site, joined, and was lead to Terry K and from their set my torts up as he stated, bought the food he stated, and got their humidity up and then went and bought tons of books on not just my Torts care but their natural history as well too add to my already vast reptile collection. I left nothing to chance, and got my two guys started off on the right foot because of him, and started to reverse any damage done to them in previous owners care. The only tiny thing that I have found that my RFs differ in is their love of light and UVB, perhaps its just them, or maybe its something that needs further research and refinement. Regardless I was just pointing my experience out too add to the pile of Tort care, so that further refinement and perfection can continue.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I've followed Terry's original care sheet, before he changed things around a bit, for almost four years now and Pio turned out OK. The only thing I changed was the planted glass vivarium. I couldn't get the humidity up in a plastic bin. I agree with Allegra. It has a lot to do with where you live and the environment you are providing for you Tort. I have dry forced air for heat...the worse kind of heat. I also keep my house very cold. There would be no way I could get the humidity up if I didn't use a glass planted vivarium.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
methos75 said:

It would be interesting to change one variable at a time- temps, humidity, etc., and see which make the most difference for the most people.

However- there is also a lot of variation in how people do little things- how much noise/vibration and movement is there outside the habitat? What is the overall daytime schedule like (lights on, feeding, cleaning, etc.) and so forth that things that work for one do not always work for another.

Mark .. you hit the nail on the head!... I wonder as I watch my Reds N cherrys ,, frolic in sun during Feb ( even nesting and mating thru out the year ) it was 79 here at the beach today ! ...Not signaling out any " One person" .....but why would I follow " Strict" guidelines with persons/people who own and keep torts inside 2-4 months out of the year in a " ex: light, heat,ect..."simulated indoor setting" .. this cannot not be a natural thing for any species! There is not one " simple correct way" ... its more like adapting to your surroundings and providing whats best for the animal.

JD~:)

And yes Mr. Terry is a very knowledgable and helpful addition to the tortoise community and Iam proud to own a couple of his " Screamers" ( as I call um~ ) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.