The best learning lesson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW Tn
Today I believe I become an official Sulcata, iguana and macaw sanctuary. This morning I found 2 blue and gold macaws left by our front gate (this now makes a total of 14 macaws that have been dumped at the park in 1 year), another giant male sulcata (now we have 9.1sulcata, wish someone would be that giving with an Aldabra or impressed tortoise) and someone called our owner and left a 5 foot crazy male iguana (makes 4 now) at his doorstep.

We have pet day, where we talk about why exotic pets aren't for everyone. Unfortunately they only see the "cool" factor and not the cruelty that can happen to the animal.

I tried convincing my boss to set up stations that recreate bad living environments that people had to stay in for Atleast 5 minutes, but he thought that was a bit extreme lol

Any suggestions that may help?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Stupid people will always exist. They always have. No course of action, no law, no form of public pressure will ever change this. It's a normal reaction to lament about the few bad cases, but don't forget to be happy about the thousands upon thousands of these animals that are well taken care of and have happy homes.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Dang, why is it they only dump cats here? I would love for one of those macaws to appear.

Not matter what they see or hear, some folks will always have to learn for themselves. (I tend to be one of those on a certain level, which is why I do so many experiments with tortoise keeping) I just wish folks who want to give up their animals would not just dump them. Instead just hand them over. No judgements need to be made, but atleast that way the person being "gifted" know they are there, so they won't get lost or have to stay out in what may be poor weather and the person taking them in might also learn a little of their background.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Man that would make my day. I get nothing. :( not a thing:( Yes, I am having my own little pity party:p:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
Man that would make my day. I get nothing. :( not a thing:( Yes, I am having my own little pity party:p:D

Be careful what you wish for....

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
In this case at least they took them to you guys, A qualified place to care for these animals. Most animal shelters are not capable of even knowing what a sulcata, or macaw is. You know I can take some of those blue and golds :D

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
tortadise said:
In this case at least they took them to you guys, A qualified place to care for these animals. Most animal shelters are not capable of even knowing what a sulcata, or macaw is. You know I can take some of those blue and golds :D

I think a trade may be in order :))

Status
Not open for further replies.