The Blossom Thread.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The cool things it can be a she for now . I bet its a he just because you want a girl .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have to pay more attention to her. Let her sleep with you for a while, she will get over it:p:D. She looks good. When are you getting some more?:rolleyes:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You have to pay more attention to her. Let her sleep with you for a while, she will get over it:p:D. She looks good. When are you getting some more?:rolleyes:
Haha. I'm thinking she will come around in the next months. 2 weeks actually 3 18-22" ones will be her companions after quarantine of course.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Haha. I'm thinking she will come around in the next months. 2 weeks actually 3 18-22" ones will be her companions after quarantine of course.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well after getting. Test results back and numerous decals and PCR and knowing exactly where the big Aldabras came from. I broke my rule of quarantine for blossom. I have found that indeed blossom has expressed a highly different attitude and behavior level when it was placed with the 3 new chunky monkeys. S(he) is way beyond what the behavior was before. I'd say in a way that these species in this experiment of placing blossom with the bigger ones dictates that are somewhat social and respond to better habits of eating and exploring when they are in a group. I know we have covered it. But I'm gonna ask Greg again. What's your take on them not per say being "social" but they seem to work and respond better when kept in multiples. @ALDABRAMAN

Here's blossom next to tonka. They both share a hide. Blossom seems to favor him/her most. They have been inseparable since blossoms introduction.
image.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
What's your take on them not per say being "social" but they seem to work and respond better when kept in multiples. @ALDABRAMAN

~ We have seen both, what we feel is truly happening with the younger ones is they all trend to just do the same things at the same time. When ours reach 3.5" and released into larger areas they truly seem to have no interest in one another, however seem to like the same hide spots, eating sources, etc.

~ This picture is a mixture of different ages, they all come to the same food sources and retreat into totally different hide/shade areas. We feel that if given large spaces with many options they truly trend not to be as social as if confined and somewhat limited with options.

00V0V_gZOCSqfSsdU_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
~ We have seen both, what we feel is truly happening with the younger ones is they all trend to just do the same things at the same time. When ours reach 3.5" and released into larger areas they truly seem to have no interest in one another, however seem to like the same hide spots, eating sources, etc.

~ This picture is a mixture of different ages, they all come to the same food sources and retreat into totally different hide/shade areas. We feel that if given large spaces with many options they truly trend not to be as social as if confined and somewhat limited with options.

View attachment 142321
That's a very good point. I'd say the spot these guys are in is about 3000 square feet or so. Not huge but not small. But knowing where they hide is the optimal places from out of direct sunlight. So this may be the reasons why. None the less. It's quite awesome having more than just one together. They love neck scratches and spray downs.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Been a long while since I've updated this thread. Blossom is around 3 years old now already. Man time flies. Still uncertain of gender. But as you can see blossom has blossomed quite a bit. Has almost caught up to the big guys. Was very very difficult to get photo of her(?) next to a tape. But blossom is 16" SCL and requires two hands to pick up now. The big guys are sitting at 23".
image.jpeg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Blossom is not so little anymore. Had to upgrade even the other 3 George, tulip, and Houdini. They go through 30 pounds of cactus, 8 heads of dandelions or greens and about 20 pounds of grass clippings a day all 4 of them.

Blossom in the back and tulip in the middle(the smooth big one)image.jpeg

Houdini
image.jpeg

George

image.jpeg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Don’t come on here much. But it’s raining so I’m kinda slow at work.

Anyways. Blossom has surely blossomed. Hitting 5 years old back in April. Don’t have any values on it. But quite excellent growth, stands up now for neck scratches, and obviously loves mud pits. I’d say blossom is close to 20” and 30-40 pounds or so.

All the Aldabras get over 100 pounds of cactus a week now. The biggest ones at 11 years old is pushing 120 pounds now. I’d say he’s a boy. Has mounted but not flashed yet.

DA16D232-8DB2-4E07-BB02-A348EF3EEA21.jpeg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Been a while since Ive been here. I gave up Facebook. It’s a great feeling.
Blossom is huge now. Still not certain on sex. But weighing in that she’s a “she” 8 years old and growing like a weed. Don’t have accurate weight. But 50-60 pounds or so. 25” SCL

good posture. Decent growth.A48CE1A7-80AB-4D22-8277-0A9F6D506577.jpeg20192833-539E-42F5-B299-DD49D19BDCBF.jpeg
9594F1A0-7D93-4FCA-88B5-AE0DD51072D8.jpeg