The rainy winter did wonders for SoCal... (before and after pics)

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Its amazing what the rain has done to Fezzik's outdoor enclosure. Here are some current pictures, along with what it looked like when first built (on sprinkler-fed grass) and then last fall with no water source. The large part of his enclosure has two drip bubblers, but most of it, along with the enclosed section, is just rain fed. It will be gone soon, but he's enjoying his plants while he can... (the grasses are from Carolina Pet Supply, Russian seed mix https://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=590)

Attachments

• Enclosure 1.jpg
    Enclosure 1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6760.jpg
    IMG_6760.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5911 (1).jpg
    IMG_5911 (1).jpg
    711 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6763.jpg
    IMG_6763.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6767.MOV
    1,004.9 KB

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Looks great. Wish my russian seed mix would grow that fast,but we're getting dumped with rain this week so maybe.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Looks great. Wish my russian seed mix would grow that fast,but we're getting dumped with rain this week so maybe.

It grew pretty fast for me, but I also was using cococoir substrate that was dumped allover the ground (from failed indoor enclosure experiments) so it had a better substrate than my clay-packed natural ground. I had some that grew within a few days of me putting it down, tho this is from having the entire winter of rain to help it (and no hungry tortoise to take it down)...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Same at my place. The transformation is incredible. The weeds are so thick that I sometimes have trouble finding 20 pound tortoises in it! I will enjoy it while it lasts.

LJL1982

UK
So when it's said adults need a minimum enclosure size of 4 x 8 you thought you would run with acres?? 😆

(I know really we are talking 4ft x 8ft for smaller adult Mediterranean species when we say that and those are larger Sulcata!)

Looks like the furthest away guy has an interesting back story bless him! They are lucky to have such a great space and to have found you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So when it's said adults need a minimum enclosure size of 4 x 8 you thought you would run with acres?? 😆
Sheesh... NO! Its ONLY around 10,000 square feet. That is nowhere near an acre...

:D

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Nothing happier than a tortoise sitting a pile of food in the sun... he's like a kid in a candy shop

Attachments

• IMG_6779.jpg
    IMG_6779.jpg
    878.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6780.MOV
    1.2 MB
Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nothing happier than a tortoise sitting a pile of food in the sun... he's like a kid in a candy shop
I like your water receptacle. What is that? Where did you get it?