The time Has come and need some help

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Can I come work for you?! Hahahaha.

This is so awesome and inspiring...I am seriously so excited for you. How amazing! Good luck with everything!

That was about my second thought, after first being so happy for Kelly.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I would also approach The Chronicle, I think that's the name. But there are so many people who would be interested in this project. Also, I do not know, but UT may have a veterinary school or at least biology, they might be interested, as well. I know it might be taboo, since your mother teaches at A&M, but beggers can't be costs choosers!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I would also approach The Chronicle, I think that's the name. But there are so many people who would be interested in this project. Also, I do not know, but UT may have a veterinary school or at least biology, they might be interested, as well. I know it might be taboo, since your mother teaches at A&M, but beggers can't be costs choosers!
Yeah the Austin Chronicle is it. Actually I have made contact with Austin community college, and UT, and San Marcos universities. We plan to in the future establish a major collegial higher education campus on the property with first hand wildlife management and hands on research. Text books don't teach biology majors all the fundamentals. This of course is more millions of dollars and federal registration through educational programs. So obviously not our main priority at the moment. But once established and completely open. This will be done for sure. Joint learning programs would occur.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
This project seems awesome! :D If you can move the zoo to Abu Dhabi, UAE, I'm certainly going to help.... Good luck!

Telid

5 Year Member
TX
Absolutely.
So what is the timeline on the project, Kelly? If construction and plant growth is happening now, I would not expect you to be ready for... 2 years, using a gut-guess.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Congrats, Kelly! Man I wish I could help with your native plant situation. Shoot.. I wish I could help with every aspect of this. If only shipping plants wasn't so scary or expensive, I'd help you start from seed. The idea of learning how to raise different species of plants is seriously exciting to me.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Not sure if I updated this or not. But it went astray. The owner of the property had a falling off. Anyways long story short it didn't work out.

BUT wait!!!! There's more. This did work out. I sign the documents and legally own it when the lawyer is finished drafting the paperwork.

It's much much smaller than 150 acres. But baby steps bob. Baby steps.
It's in a much warmer climate than Austin. Tortoises can be out almost year around. Similar weather and humidity to Miami area.
40 minutes from the sea turtle sanctuary in padre island.
7 minutes from Mexico.

Anyways. This will be a public facility part of the non-profit. We've lined up schools already to have field trips and learning classes for kiddos. A huge snowbird community is in the surrounding towns. So hopefully the tourism will work out to help pay and fund our bigger international conservation programs.

It's only an acre and a half. But last weekend I went and measured the entire property and have been scaling enclosures and pathways for tourism and high class enclosures that best suit the turtles/tortoises. More than enough room.
Well here it is.
Should see some progress photos this winter on the property.
image.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sorry I can't help you locate any plants, but this is pretty cool.

I am going to assume that you will have the biggest and bestest display of turtles and tortoises in the world?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sorry I can't help you locate any plants, but this is pretty cool.

I am going to assume that you will have the biggest and bestest display of turtles and tortoises in the world?
I'd imagine it would be one of the largest on display yes. Lots more will be added before it opens too, galaps for one. Some pretty rare South African species too. Working my way I to aquatics as well.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Pathogens I'm quite obsessed with turtles/tortoises. They are kinda boring to a spectator. The big ones and babies always get lots of attention. But I will be incorporating some of my old hobbies in the venue. Some more birds and small mammals like foxes, spider monkies. Things that are more easy to for people to interact with and enjoy. I'm totally open for suggestions on adding some other animals. Of course all of us here are reptile obsessed. But any clues or suggestions would be awesome, keep in mind this is a small property so nothing huge.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You should make big elaborate displays for house cats and goldfish and other common household pets. It would certainly be unique.

(J/k, an inside joke between me and a forum member who'll probably never come across this)

Are you able to have any megafauna like rhino's or elephants?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You should make big elaborate displays for house cats and goldfish and other common household pets. It would certainly be unique.

(J/k, an inside joke between me and a forum member who'll probably never come across this)

Are you able to have any megafauna like rhino's or elephants?
Lol. That would be kinda hilarious though. Yeah I've already had it planned out to do CMU block pen walls with feux stucco molded stone over the block. Rhinos I'm not sure what the minimum requirement is. Elephants it's 10 acres for new acquisitions. In the future that will certainly be happening though. I love rhinos, they're super sweet animals.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How long before you think you'll be down there full time?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
How long before you think you'll be down there full time?
Man, I really don't know, going to try and have it fully operational hopefully next year(latter part probably). But will stay up in Dallas for a while and still get my good income pulling in. Once it sustains itself hopefully off ticket sales then I'll probably go full time down there. I'm leaving the land up here with all the buildings and everything I've done to facilitate relinquishments and stuff like that, so kinda splitting the sanctuary from the conservation side into different properties 10 hours apart. Ha