1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

The Turtle Source- a customer review.

Discussion in 'Tortoise Vendor Reviews' started by Turningstar, Aug 28, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Turningstar

Turningstar Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Florida
    At the end of June 2018, I purchased 2 18-20 week old "well started" sulcata hatchlings from The Turtle Source. Both were to be hatchlings with extra scutes. I had seen them on youtube and heard that they were one of the largest breeders of turtles and tortoises in the southeast, and since they are only a few hours drive from me, I thought it would be great since the babies wouldnt have far to ship. Oh, how much Ive learned since then...
    I purchased them online, and got a confirmation email a couple days later. After that, I received an email of when they would ship. Then an email that they couldn't ship because of the heat. They said when they could ship, picking them up from the carrier facility woulf be a possibility. After several phone calls and messages to them, I finally spoke to someone who gave me their ship date.
    When my kids and I arrive at UPS facility (20 miles away), we opened the box to find an upside down hatchling in a plastic sandwich container with nothing to sit on so he didnt slide everywhere. I initially thought he was dead. Luckily, he wasnt.
    There was also only one hatchling in the box.

After the 20 mile ride home, I call again, only to reach an answering machine. Finally, later that day after many calls, I reach a different lady. She tells me that the owner suddenly decided to shut down yesterday and sent everyone home, so they would get right on sending our other hatchling. Again, it was back and forth on the weather, so I opted to drive back to UPS 20 miles away, with 2 little kids and a baby, to get our other tortoise.
    Luckily, this time they put a damp paper towel under him so he wasnt rolling around.
    This one did have extra scutes. The first one did not.

That was the end of the fiasco of purchasing and receiving them, but the story aint over yet!

Now that I have them, I have sunk about $1000 into the whole tortoise investment, buying the proper equipment, building a tank, getting all the right foods, etc.
    My torts eat, but dont grow. Ive had them for over 2 months, and despite constant food of the proper types, correct environment, soaking 30-60 minutes a day, they stay within the same 2-3 gram weight they were when I got them. I though perhaps I was not feeding enough, so for 2 weeks, I bombarded them with food. All the right foods, just lots of it 24/7. Still no weight gain. I remembered that the breeder sent me a pdf of their "care sheet". After reviewing it, I was struck by a horrifying reality. These babies had NOT been started well, and from what Ive read on countless posts and been told by others, they may never get over the hump and thrive. I could spend months and tons of money, and they may just die. Not only is that heartbreaking for me, but also for my 5 and 7 year old boys, who spent the money they were savong for trains, on these torts. So now Im spending a ton of time and feeling stressed trying to take the best care of these torts who in reality, may die on me. If only I could get a time machine to go back and do this over....

If you're wondering what the care sheet said...

Care for sulcatas was 30-50% humidity with no water dish (because supposedly they wouldnt know better than to drink too much water[emoji35]), mazuri mixed with mixed veggies (frozen corn, peas, lima beans, carrots) and some romaine. I believe he said they soak them for 15 minutes a few times a week, but Im not positive on that. I could be off on the time.
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    We aren't allowed to post comments on vendor reviews unless we have an experience to add about this particular vendor, so, I'm going to copy/paste some of your information and make a thread in the Sulcata section so we can talk about it.
    Kapidolo Farms likes this.
  3. rmn813

rmn813 Member

Pensacola, FL
    They have very poor customer service. I've had several calls and emails never returned.
  4. ALDABRAMAN

ALDABRAMAN KEEPER AT HEART 5 Year Member

SW Forida
    ~ I have heard this many of times. They have been customers of ours for many years, never any issues or problems, however we have never purchased anything from them. I can say that his breeding programs are incredible, mostly aquatics, however i am almost certain that his sulcata hatchlings come from several sources and are not produced at his facility. I always promote anyone interested in purchasing and tortoise to go in person and pick it out if at all possible. It is best to also get one directly from a breeder, much better after purchase service and direction with these sources.

~ One thing that seems to be common practice by most retailers is to sell sulcata hatchlings that are so young, barely days old at times. We think that 30 days old are much more established and is a much better option as a customer.
    Kapidolo Farms likes this.
  5. Millerlite

Millerlite Well-Known Member 10 Year Member!

Southern Calif.
    I was thinking the same thing, The place is not very big, and the use of space is incredible. He must get the tortoise wholesale and has them set up temp. Still not an excuse. I wonder if he mentions it anywhere if he hatch them or not.

Kyle
    ALDABRAMAN likes this.
  6. ALDABRAMAN

ALDABRAMAN KEEPER AT HEART 5 Year Member

SW Forida
    ~ I was just at his facility a few days ago delivering tortoises and he does not breed his own sulcatas. He told me they come form several sources.

~ There are many small back yard breeders in the area and actually several larger scale breeders also. For one is Reptile Industries, they produce enormous amounts and they are located here in Naples.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Pastel Tortie and Millerlite like this.