there went my budget, and my back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
The only thing i didn't see and correct me if im wrong, but it looked like a small tort wouldn't be able to climb out of that pond. Maybe it was just the picture. But that enclosure is really amazing and VERY appealing to the eye. GREAT JOB!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Very nice.. if you have a raccoon problem.. they can rip screen off. so make sure it strong and secure..
and of course dogs.. they can get into anything if they want to..

MollyNMM

5 Year Member
Thanks again for all of the kind words ~ :D

to answer the couple of questions, and ask a few of my own -

Yes - the "pond" (aka retrofitted water heater tank tray) is about 1 1/2" tall plus the rock finish adds a bit. I plan to put a couple of flat rocks inside of it prior to filling it. - will this suffice?

Re: Raccoons - the wire screening is galvanized with 1/2" openings.. and is stapled in place then sandwiched between glued and screwed together 2x2's - which are then attached to/framed in by the 2x4's. I don't think it's coming out but can raccoons or others tear the wire itself??

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow, that is a beautiful, professionally built enclosure.

Some lucky tortoises are going to call it home.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's beautiful habitats like that why I don't ever show pictures of my sparse amateur pens. That's just beautiful. Why don't you come here and make one for me???

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That is a most impressive enclosure! Works not only for the turtles or tortoises, but very eye appealing for the humans too! :) You broke your budget, but can you tell us how much it did cost to build?

jackiedots

5 Year Member
Dorset England
Oh bother !!! I am at work and cannot see the photos on this computer. The comments are great so I am dying to see the pics but I wont get home for another 14 hours !! :( I shall just have to be patient......

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It will be worth the wait! :D

jackiedots said:
Oh bother !!! I am at work and cannot see the photos on this computer. The comments are great so I am dying to see the pics but I wont get home for another 14 hours !! :( I shall just have to be patient......

fel1958

10 Year Member!
tri states-pa.,n.y.,n.j.
MollyNMM said:
Hi everyone! I've been missing for a few weeks and here's why! At last, the outdoor enclosure we've been building is just about done.

Here are the details:
It measures 10' x 10', 2' tall. It is lined underground with wire 1' - 2' deep. It is made of brick and mort with redwood (unfinished) to frame the 4 wire side doors -(for roaming time), and top (to pred. proof). The hide is 2' x 3' and is heated. The "pond" is 2' x 1 - 2" deep. Starting planting from the edible list (soaked to clean) and dug out the starts of two burrows to encourage digging on the deeper side. Stacked rocks for basking.. and I think that's about it!

I've got blisters and slivers ;) so please be kind - what have I missed??

Here are the pics:

Front shot, top open

front view, looking inside

looking in through side doors

and all closed up for safety

the nicest one i have seen yet.great job!!!!!!!!!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Wow! That is all I can say. I'm also curious what torts/turtles will be lucky enough to get to live there!

If you ended up getting plants from a nursery, I would let them sit for 3-6 months before a tort is allowed to eat them, as even with rinsing and re-planting they still have chemicals that are systemic. Sounds like that won't be too much of a problem though.

Status
Not open for further replies.