there went my budget, and my back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MollyNMM

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I've been missing for a few weeks and here's why! At last, the outdoor enclosure we've been building is just about done.

Here are the details:
It measures 10' x 10', 2' tall. It is lined underground with wire 1' - 2' deep. It is made of brick and mort with redwood (unfinished) to frame the 4 wire side doors -(for roaming time), and top (to pred. proof). The hide is 2' x 3' and is heated. The "pond" is 2' x 1 - 2" deep. Starting planting from the edible list (soaked to clean) and dug out the starts of two burrows to encourage digging on the deeper side. Stacked rocks for basking.. and I think that's about it!

I've got blisters and slivers ;) so please be kind - what have I missed??

Here are the pics:

Front shot, top open
W_9776.jpg

front view, looking inside
W_9784.jpg

looking in through side doors
W_9788.jpg
W_9789.jpg

and all closed up for safety
W_9790.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jdawn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest
That's Fabulous! Superbly done!
~Now,... go indulge in ibuprofen or other drug of choice! :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Very ambitious and VERY NICE!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow!...now THAT's a professional looking enclosure. I am speechless. It reminds me of a little cottage with a yard and pond. All your work was well worth it. Wonderful!

MollyNMM

5 Year Member
thanks all ~ so nice to hear! Now all I've got to figure out is what to put in it! :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wait a minute.....you don't even have a tort or turt and you built that beautiful enclosure. What are you planning to get? Damn....you could put almost anything in there.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Definitely don't have to worry about predators, unless you have vicious brick eating squirrels around, lol.

Very beautiful. Impressive! Take a couple Motrin, you certainly deserve it :)

That looks like a Redfoot home waiting to happen!!!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
That is very impressive, and permenent for sure! Its easy to see it cost a lot in both effort and dollars, but well worth it.

Good job!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is just absolutely wonderful!! You and your husband did a great job making a safe and pretty home for a turtle or tortoise. I can see a couple of box turtles in there.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Wow that is incredible!! I'm so impressed.

MollyNMM

5 Year Member
Wow! Thanks for all of the kind words.. sooths the muscles a bit! (Motrin is helping as well ;)

Sooo- yes, I do have a tort. My drama unfolded on this forum.. I thought I had a Russian and built this for her - with the thinking that we would get more Russians - expand the herd (the "why" behind the size and materials used).

Here is where I learned that she is actually a Greek.. a Caspian Greek from Danny. Many thanks to him!! So expanding the herd is not as likely an option (as he also shared that they are not very common)

I'm now thinking since I'd still like to expand.. and now I've really go the space... something different. Love all the suggestions!! Had thought Russians, Greeks, etc. Had not thought boxie.. hmmm...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Why not look into other Greeks? I believe that different subspecies can be housed together. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Mango

5 Year Member
this is the most beautiful outdoor enclosure I've seen--and I"ve been reearching for months! i wish we had a warmer climate to do something similar. great work and thanks for sharing. inspiring!

-mango's person

Laijla

5 Year Member
Fantastic! thanks for sharing the pictures and some serious Motrin is well deserved!

Laijla

Status
Not open for further replies.