They eat ANYTHING!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Three or four years ago I planted a nice pony tail palm (Beaucarnea recurvata) in my Manouria rain forest. These are the pictures I posted back then after the tortoises had started eating the plant:

pony tail palm-1.jpg pony tail palm-2.jpg

It was a real nice plant, about 3 and a half feet tall, and the caudex was about a foot in diameter.

Well, they ate it to the ground. That was, like I said, three or four years ago.

So this a.m. I'm out there planting some Alocasia and I discovered something very interesting:

pony tail palm 8-30-15 a.jpg pony tail palm 8-30-15 b.jpg

You can see the remains of the caudex on the left, but notice the bright green little plantlet on the right of the caudex. The darn tree is growing!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I wouldn't think anything would have survived to grow from it. I wonder how long this one will/won't last;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, towards the beginning of this year I fenced off this back portion of the rain forest and planted grasses, etc. I still haven't opened the fence, and all the grass was the type that grew, made seeds then died. The tortoises aren't too happy with their smaller area, but they're getting used to it. And in the meantime, aspidistra, colocasia, weeds, and this little palm tree are happily growing.