They "exploded" before July 4th..

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
.. the "Hardy Hibiscus" that is!!!

@Pearly .. you like BIG flower blooms?

There are the small 'hardy' [ seldom 3' ] that are usually kept in planters on the patio, etc. - their blooms are small .. usually 4"-5". Known as Luna (ssp.)

And then there are the other 'hardy' --- well over 6' with HUGE blooms!!!

See the bud .. top right - "Wonderful White" -

From the end of my thumb to little finger is 9" -

All these are 8"- 9"+ --

"Pale Pink" -

"Fire Red" - note the green leaves -

All those buds - [ the tiny flowers are the "Catnip" blooming.. the aroma helps repel those little green beetles that devour the leaves.. buds and blooms! Catnip controls about 90% of the beetles - it works!!! Our cat can be found in the shade among the Catnip... ]

Two other 'flavors' coming next!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Another "Candy Apple" .. see bud upper right - [ had it posted along with another and managed to delete it o_O

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Beautiful flowers. All my torts love hibiscus flowers. They particularly like the red ones. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those are beautiful, Terry. I remember a picture you posted many years ago, a slightly overhead shot of your RF yard showing how you had the hibiscus planted in the yard. Were those the hardy hibiscus?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Those are beautiful, Terry. I remember a picture you posted many years ago, a slightly overhead shot of your RF yard showing how you had the hibiscus planted in the yard. Were those the hardy hibiscus?

And I thought you 'lost-all-memory' Yvonne :D

This is an early shot [ taken when a few years old .. summer 2008 ] when I first started growing the "jungle" of ROSE of SHARON ( a perennial that is -20 F tolerant .. as is the "Hardy" ) Rose of Sharon are more like trees.. they are now literally 9' - 10' ...

... will look for recent shot...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Those redfoot tortoises would virtually climb those plants to pull down the branches to eat the leaves and blooms... is what the fences are about!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have nine Hibiscus in my back tortoise yard and three out front. But none of the flowers look as nice as those.
I've never seen hibiscus flowers so large.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I have nine Hibiscus in my back tortoise yard and three out front. But none of the flowers look as nice as those.
I've never seen hibiscus flowers so large.

@ZEROPILOT .. Ed do you have the Rose of Sharon that have much smaller blooms like these?

"Single" bloom 'Blue-bird' -

"Double" bloom 'Red' -

4" - 5" tops!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
@ZEROPILOT .. Ed because you live where you do you most likely have the "Tropical" hibiscus. They don't survive very well in temps below 45 F ... and it's very easy to "hybridize" to make really fancy colors and 'textures'!