Thinking of a Cherry Head

Justin C.

Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit, MI
Hello, i am looking into adopting a or multiple cherry head redfoots and i need your professional opinion.
Quick background, i live in Michigan, current have a adult Russian tortoise, planning having both indoor and outdoor enclosures.

1. I heard that 2 Russian tortoises are not a good idea, correct?
2. Is one cherry head OK, or can i have multiple? (2, 3, etc.)?
3. There really isn't much information for cherry head tortoises, but what are the expected adult sizes?
3. What is a good size for the indoor enclosures (hatchling, yearling, adult)?

I know that i am missing some very important questions, so if you can just share anything you feel is also important i would greatly appreciate it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Russians aren't a good idea?
Do you mean a Russian with a Redfoot. Bad idea.
A Russian housed with anything is a bad idea.
Redfoot should be solitary or kept in groups of at least three. Preferably with one male and several females. This is less important with sexually immature small ones.
Expect a Cherry Head to grow to 10". And a non Cherry to get to 13 to 16".
I Know the urge. I'm familiar with it. But don't jump in with a bunch of tortoises untill you are fully ready for them. And if possible, make sure that they are the same basic size.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Plus mixing species in general isn't very good.
From what I've heard about Redfoots you can supposedly keep them in groups? I think 3 or more usually but don't quote me on that. I'm not a Redfoot expert at all!

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
The cherry head would be hatchlings, so male or female will not be known. I know that I can't keep them housed with the Russian, that's just dumb. But is it OK when outside in a larger enclosure or still need 2 different pens. The outdoor enclosure underway is roughly 8' x 8'. Sorry not completely sure the size as it will bend and twist with the trees.
Also, what size is good for an indoor enclosure for the cherry.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
The cherry head would be hatchlings, so male or female will not be known. I know that I can't keep them housed with the Russian, that's just dumb. But is it OK when outside in a larger enclosure or still need 2 different pens. The outdoor enclosure underway is roughly 8' x 8'. Sorry not completely sure the size as it will bend and twist with the trees.
Also, what size is good for an indoor enclosure for the cherry.

Indoors or outdoors they need to be housed separately. Redfoots and Russians shouldn't be mixed. You'll need two, segregated areas for each species.

I have 4 juveniles in a 4x8 ft indoor setup, they will outgrow this rapidly. The more space the better. "Too large" doesn't exist.

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
So a quick recap.

1. I heard that 2 Russian tortoises are not a good idea, correct? CORRECT
2. Is one cherry head OK, or can i have multiple? (2, 3, etc.)? 1 OR 3, NOT 2
3. There really isn't much information for cherry head tortoises, but what are the expected adult sizes?
3. What is a good size for the indoor enclosures (hatchling, yearling, adult)?
GO BIG OR GO HOME!

However, is there a rule on Tortoise size vs. enclosure size. Like for every tortoise in", there should is a min sq ft' (example: 5" tortoise should have an enclosure minimum of 10' sq ft). I just want to plan for the future not just today. But I do understand that I can't put a hatchling in a 10x10' enclosure today, but when he/she reach's 6" I need to start planning a "Big or go home" home.

Sorry, I'm just a future planning kind of person.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Some tortoises roam huge areas on a daily basis in the wild while others stay closer to their burrow.
So IMO there is no "formulated" answer.
I would keep a small adult Redfoot in nothing smaller than an 8 by 8 foot pen.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Some tortoises roam huge areas on a daily basis in the wild while others stay closer to their burrow.
So IMO there is no "formulated" answer.
I would keep a small adult Redfoot in nothing smaller than an 8 by 8 foot pen.
And a similar size for a single adult Russian. They are very active torts.