This Is A Must Have.

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
If you keep aquatic turtles, redfoots, fish or anything for that matter this is a must have.

A 200ft hose and a sink adapter. Mist your animals or fill waters all over the house.

A lot of people are skeptical about temu, but most of the items are practical. I personally wouldn't buy electronics, but this makes life a little easier in the house.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240209-190636_Temu.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209-190636_Temu.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240209-190650_Temu.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209-190650_Temu.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This won't spray but if you have aquariums of fish or turtles, this is also a must have. Easily does your water changes and refills. Can water plants too if you wanted. Just doesn't have a sprayer.
Screenshot_20240209-215834~2.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never had any use for these products. A simple regular gravel vac or siphon hose into a bucket, 5 gallon jug, or something similar is the best way to go for me. You can't put tap water directly into a fish tank anyway. Probably okay for turtles, but I have a 55 gallon heavy duty plastic trash can for water changes on the fish tanks. The water sits in there over night with a powerhead churning it for aeration, and to let it warm to room temp. Then I plug in the aquarium heater to get it up to the right temperature, and then I add the Amquel, and wait another 12-24 hours. I would never use a hose attached to a tap to refill a tank. I suppose if it was safe well water at the correct temperature, then it would be fine, but not any city tap water. My turtles are at the ranch on well water, but I still have to warm the water sufficiently in every season except summer when the water in the above ground reservoir tank is plenty warm.

Water that is cold or under pressure holds more dissolved gas in solution. That is why you get bubbles on the side of a glass of tap water sitting out for a short time. Water needs to outgas, have the chloramines removed, and be brought up to the correct temperature before being put into a tank with live fish. Even for partial water changes.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I've never had any use for these products. A simple regular gravel vac or siphon hose into a bucket, 5 gallon jug, or something similar is the best way to go for me. You can't put tap water directly into a fish tank anyway. Probably okay for turtles, but I have a 55 gallon heavy duty plastic trash can for water changes on the fish tanks. The water sits in there over night with a powerhead churning it for aeration, and to let it warm to room temp. Then I plug in the aquarium heater to get it up to the right temperature, and then I add the Amquel, and wait another 12-24 hours. I would never use a hose attached to a tap to refill a tank. I suppose if it was safe well water at the correct temperature, then it would be fine, but not any city tap water. My turtles are at the ranch on well water, but I still have to warm the water sufficiently in every season except summer when the water in the above ground reservoir tank is plenty warm.

Water that is cold or under pressure holds more dissolved gas in solution. That is why you get bubbles on the side of a glass of tap water sitting out for a short time. Water needs to outgas, have the chloramines removed, and be brought up to the correct temperature before being put into a tank with live fish. Even for partial water changes.
I treat my water, and I'm ae to set the temperature before it flows out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Sorry Tom but I have done it for years. My fish live very long lives. Before refilling add Prime or similar product to aquarium and fill. Marine tanks, coral tank, freshwater, shrimp tank, all have been done this way. I get the temp correct at the faucet before adjusting the knob on the Python to fill. Both ways are just as good as long as they are done right. My way is so much easier.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Sorry Tom but I have done it for years. My fish live very long lives. Before refilling add Prime or similar product to aquarium and fill. Marine tanks, coral tank, freshwater, shrimp tank, all have been done this way. I get the temp correct at the faucet before adjusting the knob on the Python to fill. Both ways are just as good as long as they are done right. My way is so much easier.
Likewise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And lots of people hibernate sulcatas, or don't heat them over winter, yet the animals survive. I raised my first sulcatas on rabbit pellet substrate with no water bowl back in the early 90s. Every single one of them survived. Doesn't mean it was good for them.

Water should be treated, out-gassed, and at the right temperature BEFORE it goes into a tank. I have no doubt they can survive direct tap water on a partial water change, I've seen many people do it, but I'm not willing to do it that way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To each, his/her own, right? If it works for you...? 🙂
I don't generally agree with this. To use my tortoise example, would you say "to each, his/her own..." to someone housing a baby sulcata on dry substrate with no water bowl, or someone housing one outside in a temperate climate with no heat? If their argument was that they had been doing it that way for years and their tortoises were fine, would you agree? I wouldn't. I know its not good for them, as I know its not good for fish to be exposed to untreated tap water right out of the hose. I can't sit by and say nothing. Can sulcatas survive this treatment, or aquarium fish? Of course. Lots of examples of survivors, but that doesn't make it right or good for them.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't generally agree with this. To use my tortoise example, would you say "to each, his/her own..." to someone housing a baby sulcata on dry substrate with no water bowl, or someone housing one outside in a temperate climate with no heat? If their argument was that they had been doing it that way for years and their tortoises were fine, would you agree? I wouldn't. I know its not good for them, as I know its not good for fish to be exposed to untreated tap water right out of the hose. I can't sit by and say nothing. Can sulcatas survive this treatment, or aquarium fish? Of course. Lots of examples of survivors, but that doesn't make it right or good for them.
I certainly concede this point to you, Tom! But that's because I don't know anything about treatment for aquariums. I just know that sometimes, one way may be as good as another.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I certainly concede this point to you, Tom! But that's because I don't know anything about treatment for aquariums. I just know that sometimes, one way may be as good as another.
I agree. No one keeper does everything the same or follows one blue print. That goes with any animal. Even zoos/rescues do things differently, but still focus on the animals well being.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
And lots of people hibernate sulcatas, or don't heat them over winter, yet the animals survive. I raised my first sulcatas on rabbit pellet substrate with no water bowl back in the early 90s. Every single one of them survived. Doesn't mean it was good for them.

Water should be treated, out-gassed, and at the right temperature BEFORE it goes into a tank. I have no doubt they can survive direct tap water on a partial water change, I've seen many people do it, but I'm not willing to do it that way.
Not talking sulcatas Tom.
Your way and my way are both correct. My way is easier and just as safe and accurate as yours! And I don't only do partial water changes. I took out half when I had my marine tank, 100 gallon tank and I do 3/4 of that same 100 gallon fresh water tank now every week. My fish breed, grow, beautiful color and live very long lives.
Oh and btw, my way is the same way fish stores do it for the freshwater tanks. The marine tanks have RO water. Not only the store I work at for 17 years now, but also the others in the area. Also, the freshwater maintenance customers we service, well, theirs is done the same too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not talking sulcatas Tom.
Your way and my way are both correct. My way is easier and just as safe and accurate as yours! And I don't only do partial water changes. I took out half when I had my marine tank, 100 gallon tank and I do 3/4 of that same 100 gallon fresh water tank now every week. My fish breed, grow, beautiful color and live very long lives.
Oh and btw, my way is the same way fish stores do it for the freshwater tanks. The marine tanks have RO water. Not only the store I work at for 17 years now, but also the others in the area. Also, the freshwater maintenance customers we service, well, theirs is done the same too.
And how many people keep sulcatas on dry substrate with no water bowl all over the country. Still doesn't make it right to expose fish to untreated tap water. Lots of people doing it wrong doesn't make it right. How many people still keep goldfish in bowls. Happens every day all over the country. Does't make it good for the fish because lots of people do it.

I ran several fish rooms in my younger days. I never put straight tap into a fish tank. I treated it and aerated it first.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
And how many people keep sulcatas on dry substrate with no water bowl all over the country. Still doesn't make it right to expose fish to untreated tap water. Lots of people doing it wrong doesn't make it right. How many people still keep goldfish in bowls. Happens every day all over the country. Does't make it good for the fish because lots of people do it.

I ran several fish rooms in my younger days. I never put straight tap into a fish tank. I treated it and aerated it first.
Wow, seriously! I too work with fish in my adult years along with my younger years!
I do absolutely know wtf I'm talking about!
How many maintenance customers do you think we would keep for over 17 years if the way we do their water changes killed their fish every other week or month? How many vans, barrows, employees do you think we'd have to have in order to service those customers if we had to fill barrows and let them sit over night some place. Then transport them and carry them up to the customers 2nd or 3rd floor room to do the water change. Then the cost of all that would be triple, probably more, than what they are paying now. We would have been out of business within a year or two
Your not the only one to be right here Tom and don't try to make it like I am wrong or hurting or killing fish! They wouldn't produce, be active, colorful and live years, into 20's + if my way were hurting them. I have as much fish experience as you, possibly more! Fish stores couldn't stay in business if my way was bad!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow, seriously! I too work with fish in my adult years along with my younger years!
I do absolutely know wtf I'm talking about!
How many maintenance customers do you think we would keep for over 17 years if the way we do their water changes killed their fish every other week or month? How many vans, barrows, employees do you think we'd have to have in order to service those customers if we had to fill barrows and let them sit over night some place. Then transport them and carry them up to the customers 2nd or 3rd floor room to do the water change. Then the cost of all that would be triple, probably more, than what they are paying now. We would have been out of business within a year or two
Your not the only one to be right here Tom and don't try to make it like I am wrong or hurting or killing fish! They wouldn't produce, be active, colorful and live years, into 20's + if my way were hurting them. I have as much fish experience as you, possibly more! Fish stores couldn't stay in business if my way was bad!
If you know what you are doing, then why would you let fish breathe water that is full of toxic gill burning chemicals and extra dissolved gasses straight out of the tap?

Everyone, including me, has unanimously said that you are not killing fish doing what you are doing, in the same way people are not killing tortoises by doing it the wrong way. The question is whether or not this is "good" for the fish, or is it better to properly treat and age the water before putting it in with the fish? I can blow a bunch of carbon monoxide into the room where you are sitting, and as long as we aired it out quickly enough, you wouldn't die. Does that mean its a good thing to do? Not to mention what it does to the biological filter bacteria...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you know what you are doing, then why would you let fish breathe water that is full of toxic gill burning chemicals and extra dissolved gasses straight out of the tap?

Everyone, including me, has unanimously said that you are not killing fish doing what you are doing, in the same way people are not killing tortoises by doing it the wrong way. The question is whether or not this is "good" for the fish, or is it better to properly treat and age the water before putting it in with the fish? I can blow a bunch of carbon monoxide into the room where you are sitting, and as long as we aired it out quickly enough, you wouldn't die. Does that mean its a good thing to do? Not to mention what it does to the biological filter bacteria...
If I know what I'm doing?
I guess you're the only one that can know what they are doing!
Talk all you want. I have seen the proof over and over for many years! Been doing it the same way for many, many years. If it was bad, as you say, my fish would not thrive and I my job would have went out of business many years ago. The End!

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Tom, I cannot figure what Sulcata have to do with water? I keep both aquariums and Sulcata...your example is understood, but doesn't work. I use water from the faucet that comes from a ponding basin about 100 yards from my house. RES, Western Pond Turtles and Western Painted turtles breed and live in that basin. My birds, cats and I drink bottled water, my tropical fish and a midland painted turtle live in the faucet water...I have kept this 150 gallon aquarium and others this way for many years... my fish act healthy and thrive. Also the Mom and Pop pet store I use fill their 100 or so aquariums with faucet water, then if wanted an additive is added to the tanks. IMO this Forum always recommends a more expensive inconvenient not necessary way of keeping turtles and tortoises...not everyone even comes close to having the kind of money you and a few others have here. At times it is ridiculous what is recommended for newbies. You cannot prove what you are saying about the water...just my experience and opinion...as an example...I have a cheap mini green house over a tort table for a RedFoot...you recommend the small expensive glass closed chambers made by a friend of yours....My cheap green house is bigger and just as useful...the water is the same thing..you recommend a not necessarily necessary hose and parts...
I have taken water samples to the OSU extension here, it' is alright, for fish from the faucet...OSU is Oregon State University.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but sometimes you are just not correct in what you say...