This is what i found (warning-graphic picture)

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
This is a picture of the inside of my leopard tortoise. I thought I'd share it with everybody because:
1. I find it very interesting
2. Maybe some of you have never seen the inside of a tortoise before
3. Anybody more experienced than me could maybe take a look and give me
their thoughts....
(All the yellow yolky round balls are her developing eggs and not a normal part of the anatomy)
So what I found is that the placement of the eggs are so far up in the early stages, that in order to "palpate" or "feel the eggs, the female must be not too far away from dropping them.

Again please give me any insight on what you think by looking at the pictures.
Thanks for looking and to those of you with a weak stomach, sorry if I grossed you out.

Attachments

• photo(7).JPG
    photo(7).JPG
    341.8 KB · Views: 213

The three Gs

5 Year Member
RE: This is what i found (picture)

Is the tortoise dead or alive...? :(

The three Gs said:
Is the tortoise dead or alive...? :(
Oh, that's your tortoise who was too young for the eggs... I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to her.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

That is amazing. The teenie tiny ones are eggs also, right? So, do you think the cause was, to little tort for so many eggs, pressing on too many organs? Thanks for sharing, I know it could have been easy.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali

What happened to it??? Sorry bout him passing

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Sorry for your loss :( Thank you for sharing

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA

NinjaTortoises said:
What happened to it??? Sorry bout him passing

its a HER. I think they thought Egg bound? or were there just too many eggs in such a young female?
When does the Shell develope?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Most African Tortoises are not Palpable to begin with, since the ovaries are carried so high up........

The animal is not egg bound, as this occurs when the Eggs are shelled, dropped down into the Ovaducts, and mature enough to be laid.......A select few Females are palpable at that point.......From what I see, I would lean more towards an infection or a rupture somewhere in the reproductive system......The Follicles look alright, other than the fact that they may be infertile to begin with.......

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
that is interesting. Do you know when the eggs start to get shells? I am so sorry she didn't make it. Thank you for sharing as I didn't know that they could mate if they were too young. Good to know.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Yeah I think the tiny ones were trying to grow. I thought that there were too many eggs overcrowding her body and there was no way they would of become shelled and passed through successfully. I was told that she was big enough to breed and she would probably lay closer to 5 eggs her first time. She was 10inches. I don't know when or how long it would have taken to become shelled at that point of production. All the intestines the stomach, liver, lungs, kidneys, bladder, heart looked good. Could have been a rupture of some sort but an infection wasn't spotted. I have palpated a few sulcatas and felt them full of eggs so you can palpate African Species.

Unfortunately there was just too much going on in there. :(
Thanks for all the support

EricIvins

5 Year Member
turtlelady80 said:
Yeah I think the tiny ones were trying to grow. I thought that there were too many eggs overcrowding her body and there was no way they would of become shelled and passed through successfully. I was told that she was big enough to breed and she would probably lay closer to 5 eggs her first time. She was 10inches. I don't know when or how long it would have taken to become shelled at that point of production. All the intestines the stomach, liver, lungs, kidneys, bladder, heart looked good. Could have been a rupture of some sort but an infection wasn't spotted. I have palpated a few sulcatas and felt them full of eggs so you can palpate African Species.

Unfortunately there was just too much going on in there. :(
Thanks for all the support

16 Eggs for a first time Female is not that uncommon, even at 10 inches.......There was plenty of room because the size of the Ova really wouldn't have changed from what you see......

And again, most of the African Tortoises are only palpable once the Eggs have moved into the Ovaducts and are ready to go......Most Females still carry them high enough in the body cavity to not be palpable either way, or at least reliably......

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Thanks for the info, and im very sorry she couldnt make it, i am sure she wouldve lived long under your care

jayde7699

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry, I know that if that were to happen to any of mine I wouldn't be able to do anything for days knowing that she was gone, I'm so SO sorry!!!! ::::(

Status
Not open for further replies.