This is what I have

Joel C.

Location (City and/or State)
DALLAS, TX
Hello and welcome.

I see a bunch of problems, so I'll just point them out. My style is just sort of matter-of-fact, so don't take it as an insult. Just short and to the point.

1. That tank is way too small. Tiny hatchling need at least 40-60 gallons to start in and 100 is better. At 8 months old, you need a 4x8' closed chamber, or something close to it.
  2. No peat moss. They eat it and it can cause an impaction.
  3. No vitamin shots from the vet. Their little systems can't handle it and death is often the result. Same with calcium injections. This is not how you "fix" baby tortoises.
  4. How are you heating and lighting? UV? What type?
  5. Outside all day is not god for babies. It dehydrates them, slows their growth tremendously and causes them to pyramid. My general rule of thumb is an hour of outside time in a safe enclosure per inch of tortoise.
  6. What are you feeding the tortoise?
  7. Baby carrots in the soak water won't do anything. You need to mix in carrot baby food, like the kind for human babies, to get the benefits from it.
  8. Those stick on dial type thermometer/hygrometers are not accurate or reliable. Get a digital one from the hardware store for about $10.
  9. Your baby needs a real humid hide. The open ended half log doesn't do it.
Read the threads that Techno linked for you. All of this and so much more is explained in them.
Good morning to all. Let me do a little introduction. My name is Joel and I live in Dallas, TX. I had read many web sites and I thought i had my turtles well taken care of glad I found you all. Tom asked many questions and and all my stuff was wrong so did a little research and this is what i have come up with.

1. Substrane: I'm using the Fauna Kraft 1 bag and two bags of Zoo Med Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber Substrate mixed together, it is about 2 inches deep.

2. Lighting: I'm using the Exo Terra[emoji768] Solar Glo Sun Simulating Bulb 80 W. It keeps the temperature on the ground at 90 -95 degrees. This is my hot zone. I'm also using Zoo Med[emoji769] Reptile Basking Spot Lamp 50W. This is my cool zone it's ground temperature is running at 80-83 degrees. For this light I'm using the Zoo Med[emoji769] Mini Combo Deep Dome Reptile Lamp Fixture. This light kit also has a All Living Things[emoji768] Reptile Ceramic Heat Emitter 100W. This one is only used to keep the aquarium temperature above 80 degrees at night. Well like to keep the house cold and this is the reason for this heat emitter. And it's controlled by a Century Digital Heat Mat Thermostat Controller. All this lights are controlled by a Zilla Reptile Habitat Lighting & Terrarium Heat Power Center. I have the lights come on at 8 am till 9 pm and then the ceramic heater from 9 pm till 8 am. With one hood that has a low light just to have some light at night. Right now I have this thermometer till the new one comes in today.

3. I went from a 20 gal to a 55 gal aquarium. Now the turtle has enough space to walk more freely. I also kept the tops on to keep the humidity above 60% and working on that too. Spraying the aquarium every 3 hrs with a spray bottle and just tap water. I will have a Zilla Reptile Habitat Décor Hideouts Bark Bends for them later today waiting for it to come in.

4. I will now only take her out for 1 hr per day till they get bigger.

5 food: I like to give them grass from the back yard and she loves hibiscus flowers and leaves. Rose bush flowers and leaves too. I also provide them with mustard greens, a little bit of lettuce, cucumbers, yellow squash, bell peppers (green and red), Oxbow Western Timothy Hay, cactus pad, kale, and collard greens. I also put Zoo Med[emoji769] Natural Grassland Tortoise Food and all living things tortises diet. As a treat I'll give her strawberry, watermelon, or melons but just a little here and their. I do sprinkle calcium in their food twice a week. And liquid calcium in their water.

This is what i have so far. Anything that I need to fix please let me know. I want this little guy to live healthy and a long life. Will upgrade this aquarium early next year or when a 120 gal aquarium becomes available.

ThanksScreenshot_20190624-104526.jpeg20190622_220401.jpeg20190623_182739.jpeg20190623_182737.jpeg20190623_182734.jpeg20190623_183106.jpeg20190623_183100.jpegScreenshot_20190624-111200.jpeg20190623_202152.jpeg20190623_183152.jpeg20190623_124337.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m sure Sulcata. Looks very dry and (boring) and no nice dark humid hide!? Check out the info on the humid hide, so your lil guy has a place to go sleep and get out of the bright lights (if it wants to).

You don’t really need the probably over priced desert tessera... coco coir, orchid bark, cypress mulch mix work well.

Good luck!

Joel C.

DALLAS, TX
I’m sure Sulcata. Looks very dry and (boring) and no nice dark humid hide!? Check out the info on the humid hide, so your lil guy has a place to go sleep and get out of the bright lights (if it wants to).

You don’t really need the probably over priced desert tessera... coco coir, orchid bark, cypress mulch mix work well.

Good luck!
The humid hide will be coming in today. It's is plain but still working on it. Have been reading on plants I may place in the enclosure too.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Did your twin deep dome fixture come with a CFL UVB light? The coiled or looped bulbs are bad for their eyes. Also cant tell but is the top completely closed. That is needed to hold the heat and humidity in. Looks like you have a great start. Remember it won't be long before the aquarium will be to small. Also if you see your tort pacing back and forth at the glass. You might want to put about 4 in of tape around the bottom so he can't see out.
Welcome and good luck

Joel C.

DALLAS, TX
Did your twin deep dome fixture come with a CFL UVB light? The coiled or looped bulbs are bad for their eyes. Also cant tell but is the top completely closed. That is needed to hold the heat and humidity in. Looks like you have a great start. Remember it won't be long before the aquarium will be to small. Also if you see your tort pacing back and forth at the glass. You might want to put about 4 in of tape around the bottom so he can't see out.
Welcome and good luck
No, it did not come with any light bulbs I purchased this two separately. The basking light is UVA. I didn't use any coiled or looped bulbs. I did read up on those. Yes, the aquarium is completely cover on the top. I'm trying to keep the moisture above 70%. And will upgrade to a 120 gal. Or bigger aquarium when I find one. 20190623_182739.jpeg20190623_182737.jpeg