This okay for a leopard tortoise?

Steamedcomet

I got my tortoise really recently and I'm still working on a living space. The past few days he had a box to spend the night in otherwise he was out in the yard. I'll post a picture of my backyard which is where I'd prefer to have him cause it's a bit safer I just want to know if it's going to be fine for a year or two. The high walls unfortunately reduce sunlight but the front yard has low walls and I'm scared he gets stolen. I might have to get a proper indoor habitat as well because it gets really foggy and cold soon parts of the year. Would it be too stressful for him to move between the two? Any help is appreciated

1497174355083-1955152937.jpg

keepergale

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
Your yard looks like a fine place for a tortoise. A box to spend the night in works as long as you are diligent and the box has suitable temperatures.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The answer to this really depends on where in the world you are. I am in Spokane WA, and how I keep my tortoises has to be very different from those in S CA or AZ. I bring mine in for winter to indoor enclosures. For summer my adults stay outside, and have heated night boxes. Little ones, I take outside for short periods, weather permitting.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your yard looks like a great place for a leopard tortoise to live! He can shelter under the plant bench, and on cooler nights you can provide some sort of night box with heat. We have plenty of night box threads for you to look at and get ideas from.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Where are you? Different answers for different parts of the world.

What size leopard tortoise are we talking about? Different advice for a baby vs. and adult.

It is not too stressful to keep them indoors in a proper set up during unfavorable weather, and outdoors during nicer weather. I think this is the best way to do it.

Here is one example of an outdoor night box that would help you keep the tortoise outside full time, assuming the tortoise is large enough and your climate suitable.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/#post-828952

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your tortoise is a hatchlings it should be housed indoors in a closed chamber where temps and high humidity can be controlled. If your tortoise is an adult, or around 2-3 years of age and depending on its size, then a home outside would be fine.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hello there and welcome from Texas! I like your wall for the fecing, you won't have to worry about your tort digging under the fence to escape. Depending on how big he/she is you may need to consider protecting her from predators that may get in over the fence. Like Wellington said, little babies do best in warm/humid indoor enclosures untill they put on some mass on them. If you tell us what climate zone you live in we'll be able to help you much better with a lot more details

Steamedcomet

Thanks for all the replies, I live on the coast in southern Africa (swakopmund, Namibia). The climate is more cold and foggy than anything else. I'll definitely look at getting a night box tomorrow and a UV light for indoor use till he's a bit older.