Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
From left to right. Turty, Koopa, and Dora
P1010028.jpg

Turty
Got him and Koop in mid January 2011.
P1010027.jpg

Koopa (Aka Mr. Koop)
He's proboably the most active of the bunch and his white is starting to kick in. He also has a good amount of pyramiding, more so than Ive seen in other babys
P1010025.jpg

Dora
Picked her up not form the same pet store I got the other two. Also, I've only had her for about 8 days now. They all seem to be doing fine even tho I didn't quarantine. In fact Id say Turty is doing far better than before Dora came around.
P1010024.jpg

P1010034.jpg

Dora fliped herself in the shallow pool. She usualy flips back in under two minutes.
P1010061.jpg

Here is one of Turty longnecking. :)
P1010048.jpg

My wife and I are new to the pleasures of Tort parenthood. I have to admit its a lot of fun and I'm considering adding more members to the family.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just before I saw the pic of the flipped one, I was going to type up a big warning to you to be careful that they don't flip in that water bowl. Hahaha. I guess you already know. Terra cotta plants saucers work much better. They only cost a couple of bucks. I bury them flush with the substrate.

Have you already seen this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1FJpyAZkK

I typed it up for sulcatas, but since then I (and many others) used it for several other species, including babcocks.

Thanks for the pics.

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
Tom said:
Just before I saw the pic of the flipped one, I was going to type up a big warning to you to be careful that they don't flip in that water bowl. Hahaha. I guess you already know. Terra cotta plants saucers work much better. They only cost a couple of bucks. I bury them flush with the substrate.

Have you already seen this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1FJpyAZkK

I typed it up for sulcatas, but since then I (and many others) used it for several other species, including babcocks.

Thanks for the pics.

I've read your sulcata page before. I plan on using those methods when I upgrade their enclosure to a double decker turtle box.

Here is what my curent set up looks like.

P1010031.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D I am sitting here trying to figure out which one I like the best and it's a hard choice they are all three so pretty.

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
Yeah I know what you mean. I have a lot of free time now days and I spend a lot of it with my torts. They have diffirent personalities thats for sure. Dora still hasnt fully aclimated to her habitat as she continues pasing up and down the sides.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Great job on your enclosure and beautiful lil' leo's!!!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Very nice I think Dora my fav I like her light color but they are all great:cool:

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
Check out these pics of Koops pyramiding. It seems prety extream to me. I'm not to woried about it because he's still prety active and loves to eat. But why so much pyrimiding? I soak these fools everyday.

P2280008.jpg

P2280006.jpg

P2280005.jpg

P2280004.jpg

P2280002.jpg

P2280009.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And it looks like the substrate is moist. Don't know what to tell ya. Do they have a humid hide?

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
not a proper humid hide. Its just a big hallow log and I keep the substrate wet there.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
That's what I was doing at first too, just the log hide. But when I saw he was starting to pyrimid, I could see it wasn't good enough. Now that I have a "proper" humid hide he seems to have stopped pyrimiding and growing smoothly again. (knock on wood). My little guy spends a good deal of time in it too. By the way, your little ones are so cute!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
luke said:
not a proper humid hide. Its just a big hallow log and I keep the substrate wet there.

As you are seeing, and others are noting, a hollow log is not sufficient. You need a closed in chamber with only a small opening to hold in humidity.

I saw plastic shoe boxes on sale at Home Depot the other day for .99 cents.

Here's how I make them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Humid-Hide-Boxes-II#axzz1FSQF5KMg

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Tom said:
luke said:

As you are seeing, and others are noting, a hollow log is not sufficient. You need a closed in chamber with only a small opening to hold in humidity.

I saw plastic shoe boxes on sale at Home Depot the other day for .99 cents.

Here's how I make them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Humid-Hide-Boxes-II#axzz1FSQF5KMg

Mmhmm. For leopard hatchlings, a humid hide is almost mandatory to raise them without pyramiding.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
I personally don't think a humid hide alone will fully keep them from pyramiding either, but you should have one. You need to spray their shells 1-2 times a day from the get go.

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
Thanks for the tips guys. For the first couple of weeks I had them on alphalfa pelets and I was soaking everyother day. Now I have two humid hides and I spary at least once a day.

Hope this slows Koopas pyramiding. Dora and Turty both have smoth shells so far.

shiwolfe

5 Year Member
sunny southern Colorado
I love the name Koopa, I'm a huge mario fan :) Hope his pyramiding has slowed down, thanks for sharing too, it helps peeps like me learn too ;)

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
Study, study, study. So much to learn to care for them correctly. Looks like you are off to a great start though. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.