Tiny Bugs in Tortoise food

ariesxiao

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
Please see the attachment. I usually use water to soften the tortoise food and press it to powder to feed my tortoise. In my memory I saw these things after I press the tortoise to powder for a long time (which means they are inside the tortoise food). But at the beginning, I thought it was some grain and part of the food and the little thing usually doesn't move. So I just didn't take it out and mixed it with the food and let tortoise eat them. But today, I found one the of little thing is moving. Then I realize this is not some grain but tiny bugs. Then I took a close look at all the tortoise food. It looks there are many holes in most of the food pellets. Then I took some and broke them and found most of them had this little thing inside. So based on the discovery and my memory, I am doubt my tortoise may eat a lot of these things in the past a few weeks. Is this harmful to tortoise health? Also are these food still usable if I break each of the pellets and take this little thing out when I feed tortoise in the future. Or I can only throw them away.

Thanks for advice.

IMG_9188.jpg IMG_9189.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know it's natural, and they probably chow down on "old" bug infested food in the wild, but I always toss it. Think about the bug poop that is also in your food. Yuck. If possible, try to get your money back from the seller of the food. I want only fresh food for my tortoises.

ariesxiao

Seattle
Thank you all! But if the tortoise has eaten some food with these bugs, it should be no harm, right? Or I need to take any action? I have already thrown those tortoise food

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
Even vegetarian tortoises will eat carrion and small animals. It helps them to get protein and micronutrients they don't get from their regular diet. I freaked out when one of my vegetarian tortoises walked right up to a pile of dog poop when I was not looking, and started chowing down on that, when there was plenty of vegetation nearby that it paid no mind to. I talked with some smart people in here and was informed that it was not anything to be worried about. This was months ago and my tort is doing just fine. She has even laid some eggs since then.

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
If you want to be extra careful, I would find out which type of bug it is, and then do some research to find out if there is anything particularly bad about it. That should give you some idea about whether or not it is toxic to be consumed.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you all! But if the tortoise has eaten some food with these bugs, it should be no harm, right? Or I need to take any action? I have already thrown those tortoise food
Pretty unlikely to do any harm. Torts will eats aphids and other bugs on their food accidentally. As I said, freeze the food to kill the bugs... leave it there to kill any eggs and then don't worry too much.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If you want to be extra careful, I would find out which type of bug it is, and then do some research to find out if there is anything particularly bad about it. That should give you some idea about whether or not it is toxic to be consumed.

I’m pretty certain the “bugs” involved are Flour Weevils - dried food products like flour, rice, beans, dog food, is where they hang out. The article I posted above describes what they look like, and how to get rid of them. Consumption not harmful.