Tips for breeding HET sliders.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I've got three female HET for albino sliders that are breeding size this year and I recently picked up a 5 year old male to add to the group. I've had the male quarantined for a couple weeks and he seems good to go. However when I tried putting him in with the females he immediately started violently attacking and biting one of the females. Not like a little breeding type nip, like a I'm trying to kill you bite. I separated him again. Does anyone have any tips on how I can put them together to breed without him seriously hurting one of my females? Or are there some turtles just to nasty to be around others?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Just tried again, same results almost immediately, with a different female.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My experience is that sliders are very aggressive breeders. The male will latch onto the skin on the back of the neck of a female to try to subdue her. I often ended up with bloody, scarred females especially this time of year. I will not keep male red-ears in my pond.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My experience is that sliders are very aggressive breeders. The male will latch onto the skin on the back of the neck of a female to try to subdue her. I often ended up with bloody, scarred females especially this time of year. I will not keep male red-ears in my pond.
Yikes, I didn't think it would be this difficult. I don't even think this is a mating behavior, he's just mean as hell. He's not going for the neck, or fluttering. He's chasing and violently biting whatever he can get at. He's going to end up killing one of my females. I think he's going to be sold lol.