Top soil humidity question

Coganada

Location (City and/or State)
Watford
Hi guys,

I recently bought a bunch of sterilised top soil for my Russian tortoise. I'm just a bit confused about the humidity as everywhere recommends 40%-50% however my humidity ratings indicate 80-90% (when the sensor is submerged in the soil).

Is it only the air around the tortoise that needs to be 40-50% or does all of the soil (including beneath the surface) need to be the correct humidity?

Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi guys,

I recently bought a bunch of sterilised top soil for my Russian tortoise. I'm just a bit confused about the humidity as everywhere recommends 40%-50% however my humidity ratings indicate 80-90% (when the sensor is submerged in the soil).

Is it only the air around the tortoise that needs to be 40-50% or does all of the soil (including beneath the surface) need to be the correct humidity?

Thanks
You want ambient humidity. (Or humidity in the surrounding air.)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys,

Thanks
Soil should never be used for tortoise substrate. Its not safe.

Read this: