Tort on the truck!

TomAlicia

5 Year Member
I have a Leo coming today but the shipper didn't inform UPS it's a live animal...UPS usually delivers here after 6...will she be okay until then?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I never get my packages before 4 pm here either, since I live in the middle of a cornfield. IF the leopard has been packaged properly, it should be fine. How cold is it where you are? You might call the local hub and see if you can meet the carrier at a sooner time or if he/she could place the animal in a warmer spot (if it's really cold where you are).

Your saying the shipper never wrote on the box it's a live animal?

TomAlicia

5 Year Member
I'm in south FL thank goodness...we called UPS and they only said they weren't notified it was a live animal...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Then he should be safe until he gets to you. You on the other hand will be spending a very long day anxiously waiting and doing some major worrying about the little guy. No way around that part of having an animal shipped to you.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
It wouldn't make a difference. UPS delivers based on what the sender paid for whether its a live animal or not. There's 3 different forms of overnight shipping through UPS. Early AM which guarantees by 7:30 AM, regular which guarantees by 10:30 AM, and next day saver which just guarantees it gets there that day. Now when I say "guarantee" I say it loosely. If you live outside a major city area then you can count on getting it late no matter what. No shipping company is going to make a special trip for anybody. The tortoise should be just fine though assuming it was packed well and came from a reputable source.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
We were waiting on a Bearded Dragon last March. He was to be held at the hub due to the season and our location, but the breeder didn't put "Live Animal" on the box as they're required to do as live animals often get stolen in transit. Instead, the box was marked "Perishable". UPS put our expensive dragon in the cooler! Not their fault...but had my husband not been watching the tracking number like a hawk, the animal would have died. As it was, he drove home with the dragon inside his coat; said the lizard felt like a vegetable pulled from the fridge!

TomAlicia

5 Year Member
Laura Currado said:
We were waiting on a Bearded Dragon last March. He was to be held at the hub due to the season and our location, but the breeder didn't put "Live Animal" on the box as they're required to do as live animals often get stolen in transit. Instead, the box was marked "Perishable". UPS put our expensive dragon in the cooler! Not their fault...but had my husband not been watching the tracking number like a hawk, the animal would have died. As it was, he drove home with the dragon inside his coat; said the lizard felt like a vegetable pulled from the fridge!
Though that was quite (funny now that we know the beardie is okay) a story...it didn't help the worry lol!!! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT] I'm trying hard to not watch the time but every minute is now taking twice as long to pass lol...thank you guys I'll let you know when she arrives!

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
This may help or make it worse... Haha not positive how you'll take it.

I shipped a tortoise that UPS lost in transit. It was lost for 5 days. When it finally arrived it was perfectly fine. Tortoises are resilient creatures. I'm sure it will be just fine! :)

TomAlicia

5 Year Member
Arizona Sulcata said:
This may help or make it worse... Haha not positive how you'll take it.

I shipped a tortoise that UPS lost in transit. It was lost for 5 days. When it finally arrived it was perfectly fine. Tortoises are resilient creatures. I'm sure it will be just fine! :)

Lol!!!! I have mixed feelings about that situation...lol...buuuut definitely feeling better to know it survived 5 days....phew...we're so anxiously awaiting her arrival my husband who just had shoulder Friday left me home to drive himself to the doctor 15 miles away

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Have a tub of warm water ready when you received. Not much you can do at this time. I wonder who you order this one. The shipper try to save couple dollar???????

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Re: RE: Tort on the truck!

bouaboua said:
Have a tub of warm water ready when you received. Not much you can do at this time. I wonder who you order this one. The shipper try to save couple dollar???????

Not necessarily although it does happen. Most times though like I said earlier, the shipping company delivers in a fashion that is the most cost efficient to them. Which you can't blame them for...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Atleast the shipper didn't send it to you on a Friday.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Arizona Sulcata said:
bouaboua said:

Not necessarily although it does happen. Most times though like I said earlier, the shipping company delivers in a fashion that is the most cost efficient to them. Which you can't blame them for...

I ordered and shipped live animal few times myself, I always order priority overnight at 10:30 guarantee delivery and paid extra for the speedy service. If the shipping company deliver my package after 10:30 AM they are breach the contract. It happened to me once, delivered at 12:30 (The animal are Okay), I call to complaint, and I got my money back.

Unless the service is ordered for regular overnight, then you are at the mercy of the cost efficiency of the delivery company.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I have to say that when I see that there is a box marked "Live Animal" I am very careful and make sure the box is up right. I also let the driver know there is a tort or critter on board :D they look at me like I'm crazy, but they are really good about it. This is coming from someone who works for UPS and loads the trucks :D :D

TomAlicia

5 Year Member
AZtortMom said:
I have to say that when I see that there is a box marked "Live Animal" I am very careful and make sure the box is up right. I also let the driver know there is a tort or critter on board :D they look at me like I'm crazy, but they are really good about it. This is coming from someone who works for UPS and loads the trucks :D :D

I wish everyone had that mentality....but we're still siting on our butts waiting...my husband emailed the breeder and complained because he did tell us it will be here by 12...we paid 39$ for shipping...

TomAlicia

5 Year Member
Thanks you guys for the optimism!!! Going to make a progress post for her...ImageUploadedByTortForum1391544726.494885.jpg

This is how she was labeled

Last edited by a moderator: