Tort passed away.. frustrated

DigitalArtDad

Location (City and/or State)
SAINT JOSEPH
Just venting because there's nothing else I can do at this point. Got an egyptian hatchling last month. When received his shell was a tad squishy and had trouble opening eyes. Never had much of an appetite and was very lethargic. Did everything I've done with my 5 others and unfortunately today the little one passed. Not gonna say the breeder because I've got 4 others from them and they are all thriving. Just sucks.. maybe I should've went to the vet but was worried that it was so small qnd young it wouldn't be able to handle whatever "treatments" they would've thrown its way. Still plan to start a breeding group of these but this was a rough gut check. Anyway.. rip little one.

King Arthur

Tortoise Club
Bay Area, California
Just venting because there's nothing else I can do at this point. Got an egyptian hatchling last month. When received his shell was a tad squishy and had trouble opening eyes. Never had much of an appetite and was very lethargic. Did everything I've done with my 5 others and unfortunately today the little one passed. Not gonna say the breeder because I've got 4 others from them and they are all thriving. Just sucks.. maybe I should've went to the vet but was worried that it was so small qnd young it wouldn't be able to handle whatever "treatments" they would've thrown its way. Still plan to start a breeding group of these but this was a rough gut check. Anyway..

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Just venting because there's nothing else I can do at this point. Got an egyptian hatchling last month. When received his shell was a tad squishy and had trouble opening eyes. Never had much of an appetite and was very lethargic. Did everything I've done with my 5 others and unfortunately today the little one passed. Not gonna say the breeder because I've got 4 others from them and they are all thriving. Just sucks.. maybe I should've went to the vet but was worried that it was so small qnd young it wouldn't be able to handle whatever "treatments" they would've thrown its way. Still plan to start a breeding group of these but this was a rough gut check. Anyway.. rip little one.
Sorry that happened to you and the little one. But welcome anyway. I know what you mean about maybe should have taken to a vet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. If you bought all yours from the same breeder, you should contact them and see if they will do anything for you. If ever you get another that is squishy you should contact the breeder immediately. Most we see on here that is squishy when arrived or turn squishy usually don't make it.
If the breeder actually starts them out right then it may be a fluke thing that they just got an unhealthy one. However, if they don't start them right, including incubation, then it is likely them and they probably lose more then you know.

DigitalArtDad

SAINT JOSEPH
So very sorry. If you bought all yours from the same breeder, you should contact them and see if they will do anything for you. If ever you get another that is squishy you should contact the breeder immediately. Most we see on here that is squishy when arrived or turn squishy usually don't make it.
If the breeder actually starts them out right then it may be a fluke thing that they just got an unhealthy one. However, if they don't start them right, including incubation, then it is likely them and they probably lose more then you know.
Ya I figured it was just a little pliable because it was so young but it only got worse. I emailed the breeder literally an hour before it passed saying I was thinking about a vet visit and asking for suggestions. I don't like asking for hand outs so hopefully they offer something but even if they don't the breeder has been good to me in the past so I can't complain about them. Thanks for the kind words.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi sadly sqishy is not good news. You should have received an active, brght eyed, hard shelled warrior anything else steer clear. They probably knew it was going to be problematic and have just got $$$ for nothing.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Ya I figured it was just a little pliable because it was so young but it only got worse. I emailed the breeder literally an hour before it passed saying I was thinking about a vet visit and asking for suggestions. I don't like asking for hand outs so hopefully they offer something but even if they don't the breeder has been good to me in the past so I can't complain about them. Thanks for the kind words.
I would second the motion to contact the breeder and let them know. Although it is not a pleasant call, as a breeder myself, I would want to know. You are not asking for a hand-out. If I ever sold a tortoise that was noticed to be other than in excellent condition, I would without question replace with another one or refund. Even if one I sold appearing totally fine - died within 1-2 months, I would do the same. No feeling of being taken advantage of, but without reservation a feeling of doing what's right. I would be the breeder would want to do everything they can to eliminate any possible feelings of sub-par tortoises being sold by them. That is far more devastating for a reputable breeder. Please let then know!

DigitalArtDad

SAINT JOSEPH
I would second the motion to contact the breeder and let them know. Although it is not a pleasant call, as a breeder myself, I would want to know. You are not asking for a hand-out. If I ever sold a tortoise that was noticed to be other than in excellent condition, I would without question replace with another one or refund. Even if one I sold appearing totally fine - died within 1-2 months, I would do the same. No feeling of being taken advantage of, but without reservation a feeling of doing what's right. I would be the breeder would want to do everything they can to eliminate any possible feelings of sub-par tortoises being sold by them. That is far more devastating for a reputable breeder. Please let then know!
Ya waking up today I can't help but feel a little more upset about this aspect of it. The breeder still hasn't replied to me email and ot was just a little over a month since I received them so I'm kind of doubtful anything will come of it. I'll update if I do hear back.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ya waking up today I can't help but feel a little more upset about this aspect of it. The breeder still hasn't replied to me email and ot was just a little over a month since I received them so I'm kind of doubtful anything will come of it. I'll update if I do hear back.
So who is the mystery breeder? It would be enlightening to know this.

bioteach

10 Year Member!
So sorry to hear about your loss. Little ones are so delicate - no matter how hard we try some don't survive. I'm sure that you did all that you could; and it was probably not likely that a vet could intercede and save him. It is truly heartbreaking to see a tiny hatchling perish.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I made this post just to vent about the loss not really put the breeder on blast or anything. I've got other hatchlings from them in the past and haven't had an issue..
It is a mystery to me why people who get sub-standard specimens and treatment from various breeders choose to keep the breeders' names a secret from all our readers. If you want to do that, don't even bother posting your frustrations. You are not helping anyone else avoid the same problem(s) you have had by keeping quiet.

A person cannot be faulted by such breeders for simply telling others the facts.

DigitalArtDad

SAINT JOSEPH
It is a mystery to me why people who get sub-standard specimens and treatment from various breeders choose to keep the breeders' names a secret from all our readers. If you want to do that, don't even bother posting your frustrations. You are not helping anyone else avoid the same problem(s) you have had by keeping quiet.

A person cannot be faulted by such breeders for simply telling others the facts.
Just wanted to vent to some fellow tortoise lovers is all. I don't believe the breeder was trying to make a quick buck and I guess I feel partly to blame since it's the first one I've lost. I've felt since I started this hobby I've had the best care possible and have always done my research but I can't help but wonder if I could've done more or reached out sooner if the outcome would've been different. I still respect the breeder though and have hopes for them helping make things right so I don't want to drag their name through the mud. That was never my intentions with posting, sorry.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Caveat emptor can only go so far when buying baby tortoises - and can be enhanced greatly by the type of feedback @zovick is promoting. You stated you noticed a softer than normal feel, trouble opening eyes, lack of appetite, and lethargy. I would never sell a tortoise with those syptoms. A breeder dealing with a high-end tortoise like an Egyptian, would certainly know this as well. If looking for an Egyptian tortoise - which are hard to find and expensive - I would very much appreciate knowing a breeder is at least willing to sell a tortoise that is noticeably unwell to help me make my decisions. And certainly I would want to know if the tortoise died within a month or two and the breeder did nothing in reparation! The information that you bought 3 with no issues and were very happy, but one that seemed off from the beginning and died is indeed the whole story! I feel it only fair that in sharing your story you give the whole story! The syptoms to help people choose a healthy tortoise. The "whole story" of your dealings and the attitude of the breeder to help people choose a good breeder they can be comfortable with.

DigitalArtDad

SAINT JOSEPH
Caveat emptor can only go so far when buying baby tortoises - and can be enhanced greatly by the type of feedback @zovick is promoting. You stated you noticed a softer than normal feel, trouble opening eyes, lack of appetite, and lethargy. I would never sell a tortoise with those syptoms. A breeder dealing with a high-end tortoise like an Egyptian, would certainly know this as well. If looking for an Egyptian tortoise - which are hard to find and expensive - I would very much appreciate knowing a breeder is at least willing to sell a tortoise that is noticeably unwell to help me make my decisions. And certainly I would want to know if the tortoise died within a month or two and the breeder did nothing in reparation! The information that you bought 3 with no issues and were very happy, but one that seemed off from the beginning and died is indeed the whole story! I feel it only fair that in sharing your story you give the whole story! The syptoms to help people choose a healthy tortoise. The "whole story" of your dealings and the attitude of the breeder to help people choose a good breeder they can be comfortable with.
I don't disagree with any of this. I assumed the health issues were from a young hatchling being shipped and would go away with proper husbandry. He did eat and poop just not as much as what I've seen in the past. I'm by no means not an expert so this is where I take some of the blame and think I could've done more. I notified the breeder on day one and he told me to keep him informed. I just emailed him yesterday letting him know the bad news so he can still do right by me for all I know. I guess as a breeder he could've seen the signs but I dont blame him entirely. The tortoise was eating and would open its eyes it just seemed like it struggled doing so and didn't run to food the second I put it out. The shell was slightly pliable buy only became softer after a couple weeks of being with me. I don't want to make excuses for the breeder but the more I write the more it seems like that's what I'm doing.. I guess I'm saying it was hard for me to tell upon receiving him that he wasn't the healthiest tort so I don't entirely blame the guy for sending him out but maybe I should be more critical.. we will see what the response from the breeder is and if I feel it's necessary I will let you know where I got it from . Thanks for the responses

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Just wanted to vent to some fellow tortoise lovers is all. I don't believe the breeder was trying to make a quick buck and I guess I feel partly to blame since it's the first one I've lost. I've felt since I started this hobby I've had the best care possible and have always done my research but I can't help but wonder if I could've done more or reached out sooner if the outcome would've been different. I still respect the breeder though and have hopes for them helping make things right so I don't want to drag their name through the mud. That was never my intentions with posting, sorry.
You most likely weren't to blame and I think that's what everyone wants you to know. You shouldn't have to take a well started baby to a vet from day one. If the baby wasn't ready to go don't put it through the stress of being shipped. Just my opinion.🤗

DigitalArtDad

SAINT JOSEPH
You most likely weren't to blame and I think that's what everyone wants you to know. You shouldn't have to take a well started baby to a vet from day one. If the baby wasn't ready to go don't put it through the stress of being shipped. Just my opinion.🤗
Appreciate that

King Arthur

Tortoise Club
Bay Area, California
That certainly makes sense 👌