Tort prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Actually your climate is similar to Maryland. Maybe a bit more cool and rainy, but you also have the extremes during the seasons.

I visited a UK friend in Dudley (west midlands) a couple years ago during July and it was HOT. We had a blast though. She introduced me to alcohol and cheeses that I've never seen before. lol

And yes, Arizona is an amazing state. If I didn't have a mortgage on my house I'd be there right now.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
Actually your climate is similar to Maryland. Maybe a bit more cool and rainy, but you also have the extremes during the seasons.

I visited a UK friend in Dudley (west midlands) a couple years ago during July and it was HOT. We had a blast though. She introduced me to alcohol and cheeses that I've never seen before. lol

And yes, Arizona is an amazing state. If I didn't have a mortgage on my house I'd be there right now.

I'm no where near there lol. Newcastle is my home town. Closer to Scotland than anywhere. Northern girl! Haha. What alcohol and cheeses may that be then??

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
She kept giving me something called "Lambrini" (I think that's it...pear cider) and we went to the local cheese shop every day. It was a block from her house.

To be honest I don't even remember the cheese we ate, but damn it was good. Nothing like the processed crap we get over here.

And I love the fact that most houses in Dudley aren't made from wood. It's like they've been there for hundreds of years. Dudley castle was beautiful. I have pics but that would probably throw this way off topic.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
She kept giving me something called "Lambrini" (I think that's it...pear cider) and we went to the local cheese shop every day. It was a block from her house.

To be honest I don't even remember the cheese we ate, but damn it was good. Nothing like the processed crap we get over here.

And I love the fact that most houses in Dudley aren't made from wood. It's like they've been there for hundreds of years. Dudley castle was beautiful. I have pics but that would probably throw this way off topic.

I love lambrini!!!! It's like a cheap chatty wine that all the alcoholics drink, but it's good! Like a cheap champagne, nice and fizzy haha. There are no houses here made from wood lol. All brick or stone of some sort. Some have wood paneling, but those are from Victorian and Edwardian times. We have about 5 castles and a cathedral here lol. It's quite picturesque, but spose I don't appreciate it, as I see it everyday.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yes I assume you get used to it if you live there. But for a tourist it's very nice. I didn't want to leave. lol.

I wish we had more cider over here. We have tons of apple cider but it's non-alcoholic. If you ask for pear cider at the local liquor store they'll just look at you like you're crazy.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
0 zero Zilch Nada...
all 6 were rescues..
now, how much have I paid for food and enclosures, heating... etc.. WAY over a $1,000..... prob double that.. and I want to build more.. HA

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Classic supply and demand scenario. Here in Canada its quite expensive but that just means impulse buys are low and so very few neglected torts.
Currently at a popular specialty pet store:
Common Name Latin Name Price $CAD
Chinese Box Turtles Babies Cistoclemmys flavomarginata $500.00
Gulf Coast Turtles Babies Terrapene carolina major $395.00
Diamondback Terrapins Babies Malaclemys terrapin $295.00
Chinese Reeves Turtles Babies Mauremys reevesii $179.00
Three Striped Mud Turtles Babies Kinosternon baurii $179.00
Pancake Tortoises Adults Malacochersus tornieri $1200.00 ea - $2200.00 pr
Redfoot Tortoises Babies Chelonoidis carbonaria $395.00
Sulcatta Tortoises Babies Geochelone sulcata $350.00
Elongated Tortoise 4" Indotestudo elongata $595.00
Cherry Head Redfoot Female 5" Chelonoidis carbonaria $750.00
Cherry Head Redfoot Female 10" Chelonoidis carbonaria $1200.00
Marginated Tortoises Babies Testudo marginata $550.00
Golden Greek Tortoises Babies Testudo graeca $500.00
Leopard Tortoises Babies Stigmochelys pardalis $550.00
Alligator Snapping Turtles Babies Macrochelys temminckii $300.00
Alligator Snapping Turtles 6-8" Macrochelys temminckii $350.00

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Zouave said:
Classic supply and demand scenario. Here in Canada its quite expensive but that just means impulse buys are low and so very few neglected torts.
Alligator Snapping Turtles 6-8" Macrochelys temminckii

$350.00

I had no idea one
Place would
Sell
So many species!!!! Over here, the only torts I could find we're hermans and horse fields.

I has

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Canada price seems higher than even my country for most species, except for the box turtles originated from US. Do they import all the torts to Canada? Should be the tax is very high for pets.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
The absolute lowest I have seen in Canada is $200 for a hatchling sulcata. The turtle market in Canada is a little different, with common species such as reeves, diamondbacks, razorbacks, etc going at a much higher price than in the states, while rare, high end species such as flowerback boxies tend to be a little lower ($650).

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Yellow Turtle said:
Canada price seems higher than even my country for most species, except for the box turtles originated from US. Do they import all the torts to Canada? Should be the tax is very high for pets.

It is EXTREMELY difficult and costly (not illegal like some think) to import turtles/tortoises into Canada (worries of salmonella, pfft) and thus we have a "fishbowl" economy (what's here is here, thus the high prices). Smuggled animals (mainly from the states with their rock bottom prices) do occasionally make it in and get sold but the enthusiasts know whats here for the most part and either take advantage of the sale or report the seller.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
I paid 1000$ for my male red foot here in Canada my sulcatas cost me around 200$ a price but that's because I bought them all at once stats are 1200-1500$ each Russians 400$ish give or take Canada has bad prices on tortoises

Zouave said:
Alligator Snapping Turtles 6-8" Macrochelys temminckii $350.00

I'm guessing those are port credit prices right? Both of those cherry heads I sold to grant for around 400$ each the more near Toronto the pet store the higher the price

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Free !! My desert tort came into my emergency animal hospital and I rehabilitated him/her and kept him/her.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
bobbymoore said:
I paid 1000$ for my male red foot here in Canada my sulcatas cost me around 200$ a price but that's because I bought them all at once stats are 1200-1500$ each Russians 400$ish give or take Canada has bad prices on tortoises

Zouave said:
yada yada yada

I'm guessing those are port credit prices right? Both of those cherry heads I sold to grant for around 400$ each the more near Toronto the pet store the higher the price

Correct, PC pets. I quoted their prices since they usually have the best selection and therefore lots of prices to look at.

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Ontario, Canada
Yes those prices are what I have seen in Canada too; probably higher in rural areas. I paid $400 (on sale) for my cherryhead baby from tails & scales in TO; my other one is a rescue that originally came from PC pets

Status
Not open for further replies.