Tort types for MD

July

5 Year Member
I am in Maryland and am researching a tortoise I have a 4x8 indoor table in my basement that I used for a red foot that I had for the short term. I really enjoyed him but am wondering if there is a better choice for my climate. I'd like a big, but not Sulcata sized tortoise and one with a good personality. Recommendations?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Russians are quite outgoing, and tolerate cooler night temps. They also hibernate in the winter. They are not very big, but a big tortoise will not be able to be kept in your enclosure.
Leopards are great. You could use that enclosure, but would have to cover it to maintain proper heat and humidity. It would work for a couple years. I build enclosures for large leopards on the floor and give them a bedroom.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Im from maryland and have russians. They are a great species for out state i believe. I also agree with Jodie about Leopards. They do grow to be a decent size though so more room will be needed.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Probably most of the Mediterranean species would do well there. I will always be partial to Marginated tortoises but I love russians as well. Greeks and Hermanns have similar care requirements as well.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
Russians are wonderful in my opinion, but of course having one makes you a little bias ❤️