Tortoise climbing and scratching corners

ryanD

Location (City and/or State)
South Elgin
I've had my hermanns tortoise for about 2 weeks now and he will not stop scratching at his corners and trying to climb up them. It's gotten concerning because he has already flipped himself once. I've given him several different surfaces to try to keep him occupied but nothing is working.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I've had my hermanns tortoise for about 2 weeks now and he will not stop scratching at his corners and trying to climb up them. It's gotten concerning because he has already flipped himself once. I've given him several different surfaces to try to keep him occupied but nothing is working.
How big is his enclosure?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! Some more information on how you’re keeping them would be good.

What are your temperatures like? Ie basking spot?(directly under the bulb) overall day temps? Night temps?
What sized enclosure is it?
What kind of lighting/heating are you using? Packaging photos are great if you have them.
What kind of indoor uv?
How’s your humidity?

Any additional info plus photo(s) of your full set up, along with one of your tortoise would be much appreciated and can help us advise🙂

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. We'll be happy to offer suggestions once we get a little more info.

Last edited: