Tortoise cut on head

Dcpete

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi im sorry if im posting this in the wrong place i am still learning how to use forms but i am just concerned about my baby she keeps getting a cut in the same place on her head i will link pictures but i dont know how she is doing it i checked her shell for sharp parts and there is nothing and this keeps happening . I always keep a close eye on the wound and it heals up good and then she does it again like once a month for the last 2 months i just want to know if i should be putting some kind of cream on the wound to help it heal faster and if anyone knows how to stop this like if i should cover it with something?

Thanks in advanced everybody

Attachments

• image1 (11).jpeg
    image1 (11).jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image2 (7).jpeg
    image2 (7).jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 4
  • image0 (3).jpeg
    image0 (3).jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check the spurs on her leg. Is there any blood of skin on the inner ones that she could be cutting herself on?
Otherwise you will have to play detective and investigate every place she goes that has anything near it that she could be cutting herself on
I would just clean it and put some Neosporin on it and let it heal. Just be sure to keep flies away from it.

Dcpete

New York
Check the spurs on her leg. Is there any blood of skin on the inner ones that she could be cutting herself on?
Otherwise you will have to play detective and investigate every place she goes that has anything near it that she could be cutting herself on
I would just clean it and put some Neosporin on it and let it heal. Just be sure to keep flies away from it.
Thank you for the response wellington I was thinking that myself i know its not her shell and i know its not her enclosures so i was thinking maybe the spurs on her leg like you said so i am gonna inspect them again its just hard because she has been digging so the dirt might of cleaned it off. But again thank you so much for the response and i didnt know it was okay to use neosporin thanks for the tip.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know you've said it's not her shell, but I'm betting it IS. Take a piece of emory cloth or light sand paper and soften the edge of her shell just above the injury.