Tortoise dead?

iylun

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Recently, temperatures have been around 10 celsius, and my turtle recently suddenly shrunk into its shell and stopped moving. It's been an entire day and a half and he just doesn't respond. I know that 10 celsius may have been too low for him, but I thought it was ok as this was his 9th winter at our house. So I just wanted to know if he's dead or just hibernating.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Try soaking him in warm shallow water. Don't let his nose get water in it. Good luck. Do you have a heat source for him in the house?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Recently, temperatures have been around 10 celsius, and my turtle recently suddenly shrunk into its shell and stopped moving. It's been an entire day and a half and he just doesn't respond. I know that 10 celsius may have been too low for him, but I thought it was ok as this was his 9th winter at our house. So I just wanted to know if he's dead or just hibernating.
What species? And is it 10 degrees outside your house, or is it 10 degrees in the tortoise enclosure?

Its been -2C outside here over night a few times, but its a balmy 27C inside my tortoise enclosures in my house.

iylun

Hong Kong
UPDATE:
He woke up today, and now he slowly regaining his energy. This is a big learning experience for me and my family. Thank you all for your suggestions?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Congratulations keep him warm. What species is your tortoise? Please read the care sheet.

iylun

Hong Kong
Congratulations keep him warm. What species is your tortoise? Please read the care sheet.
I'm not too sure. However, it doesn't seem like he's alive anymore. His entire body is completely inflated and what looks like some organs. My parent's suggest that we bury it before it "explodes like a timed bomb". Not too sure what's happening.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I'm not too sure. However, it doesn't seem like he's alive anymore. His entire body is completely inflated and what looks like some organs. My parent's suggest that we bury it before it "explodes like a timed bomb". Not too sure what's happening.
It sounds as though the tortoise is quite dead. No need to worry about it being buried alive.