Tortoise Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
We adopted a leopard tortoise on Monday. She isnt moving a lot. She comes out to eat and then goes back and lays back down in the same spot. Should I be concerned or is this just her getting used to her new environment? When should I get concerned?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
How are you keeping your tortoise? Temps, enclosure, substrate? What are you feeding it? How old is it? :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have had my Sulcata hatchling for just over 3 months and when he is inside he eats and sleeps not very active, but when he is outside enjoying the sun, he walks around more and is overall more active. Your Leopard is doing what is natural, and she could also be still adjusting. If you are able to get her outside she may become more active. But just give her some time to get use to the change that just occured in her life.

HappyTortoise

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
She is in a aquarium(this is how the previous owner kept her year round). the temp is 80ish. The substrate is alfalfa and hay. She has fresh water and eats the spring mixed greens (her previous owner was feeding her iceberg lettuce and romaine lettuce).

We are getting her a new home this weekend and we are also making a new habitat for her in our yard, I just have to get all the fertilizer out first. She is 2.5-3 years old. Please please help. I want her to be happy. This worries me.

dalano73 said:
I have had my Sulcata hatchling for just over 3 months and when he is inside he eats and sleeps not very active, but when he is outside enjoying the sun, he walks around more and is overall more active. Your Leopard is doing what is natural, and she could also be still adjusting. If you are able to get her outside she may become more active. But just give her some time to get use to the change that just occured in her life.

Thank you. I will get an outside set up going this weekend. Thank you for your help.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
If the care was bad before you got her then she is probably very nervous with the change, with some love, new diet and the new enclosures inside and out I am sure you will see a change in her in no time.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I "think" that what I understood delano73 say was that what you described is kinda normal...suggest natural sun.....so sounds like no real reason to be so worried? I think you may just need to let the newbie tortoise settle in some :D

HappyTortoise

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
Camilla is up and about today. Thank you everyone for your advice. You are all wonderful and I cannot thank you enough. Having a tortoise has been a dream of mine for 20 years. You are all wonderful. Attached is a picture of Camilla today. She will have a completely new habitat tomorrow. I know she shouldnt be on hay and she should have more space. Working on a new indoor habitat today and then tomorrow is an outdoor one. Thank you for all of your support and guidance.

Thank You So Much!!

Attachments

• CIMG2129.JPG
    CIMG2129.JPG
    744.4 KB · Views: 33
  • CIMG2128.JPG
    CIMG2128.JPG
    885.6 KB · Views: 40

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Glad she is more active, she looks pretty good. We would like to see pictures of the new habitat when you can!

HappyTortoise

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
We got the new temporary habitat up today and she is going nuts. She is tortoise running around looking at everything. She was even out when my hand was in the cage. She is eating and taking dips in her water. We got her a log house and she loves it. It is a bit big but I figure she will grow into it and out of it. The previous owner had nothing in her cage other than a water bowl, food bowl that had lettuce imbedded/glued to it. We got her a 20 gallon critter cage, which is twice the size of what she had been living in. This will be her home until we get her tortoise table made. First we want to get an outdoor enclosure for her, so that she can go out during the day and play in the grass. The substrate is cyprus mulch. We were going to get her a bigger watering dish but someone told me that I had to be careful of her drowning so we will work on that. How deep should it be? Can she really drown in it if she can stand in the bowl? Any suggestions?

I have attached some pictures of her in her new home. This was about two minutes after I put her in their for the first time. She loves it. She is up and about. It is so amazing and awesome. My husband and I will just sit and watch her. Thank you everyone for helping me.

Attachments

• CIMG2137.JPG
    CIMG2137.JPG
    700.1 KB · Views: 29
  • CIMG2138.JPG
    CIMG2138.JPG
    775.3 KB · Views: 28

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Wow she sure looks happy now, I bet she thinks she is so happy to have room to move and new things to explore.So glad you rescued her. I can't believe how many torts are kept in tiny enclosures-I guess people just don't know any better.

A happy ending for your tortoise story-she is beautiful-always admired the Leopards

Thanks for sharing:)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have not heard of a leopard tortoise drowning, all of mine float. I think what you have in there is a good size. Personally I would use something that the tortoise could soak and bathe in, but anything bigger might take up too much room in the tank you have her in. I think you have a good temporary set up, once you get her outdoors I am sure you will see her active a lot more than she is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.