Tortoise eyes

zackary2431

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
E0D20769-25E2-4FF1-9AE4-D3794007AAB3.jpeg
So I had purchased this beautiful star tortoise from a website and just got him a few days ago , I’m very concerned with his eye lids, all though There always open, and he eats with no problems, I’m just concerned with his eye lids ! He does sleep a lot but I’m assuming that’s normal for him being so young ! Should I be worried ? Have u had any experiences with this before ? Please let me know !!:(

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
View attachment 319413
So I had purchased this beautiful star tortoise from a website and just got him a few days ago , I’m very concerned with his eye lids, all though There always open, and he eats with no problems, I’m just concerned with his eye lids ! He does sleep a lot but I’m assuming that’s normal for him being so young ! Should I be worried ? Have u had any experiences with this before ? Please let me know !!:(
His eyes are closed in the photo. Are you keeping his humidity and temps up?

zackary2431

Los Angeles
His eyes are closed in the photo. Are you keeping his humidity and temps up?
Yes Maggie ! I keep the hot side at 85-90 degrees , cool side around 78 and the humidity is 80% always ! His eyes when they open appear to be normal like any other tortoise his eye lids are just like swollen, I’m really scared and nervous

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is that moss in your substrate? Do you soak him in shallow warm water? What bulbs are you using? Some bulbs can cause eye problems.

zackary2431

Los Angeles
Is that moss in your substrate? Do you soak him in shallow warm water? What bulbs are you using? Some bulbs can cause eye problems.
Yes it is moss and yes I just started soaking him , I’ve only had him for a few days , and I’m using Zoo Med 26061 Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho Uvb 24W Fluorescent and a regular 100 watt bulb ( red ) at night I have a 80 watt ceramic heat lamp

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes Maggie ! I keep the hot side at 85-90 degrees , cool side around 78 and the humidity is 80% always ! His eyes when they open appear to be normal like any other tortoise his eye lids are just like swollen, I’m really scared and nervous
80% humidity with a low temp of 78 is looking for a respiratory infection. Ambient temp as close to 85 as you can get...

zackary2431

Los Angeles
80% humidity with a low temp of 78 is looking for a respiratory infection. Ambient temp as close to 85 as you can get...
Ok I put a heat Matt on the cool spot and I adjusted it to 85 degrees, Do his eye lids look concerning to you ? Or I’m just overthinking ?

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Is he able to open the right eye as well? In the 2nd photos it looks like half-closed, but I'm thinking maybe it was taken when he was closing?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Is his substrate well dampened? Are you seeing any dust from it? Sometimes that is an eye irritant.

Are his lids puffy after he's been up and around for a while? Maybe it's just sleepy puffy when he first wakes up.

My eyelids are puffy when I first get up.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with his lids. They look fine to me. As long as the eye itself is not red or sore, and he isn't rubbing them a lot, IMO I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

zackary2431

Los Angeles
Is his substrate well dampened? Are you seeing any dust from it? Sometimes that is an eye irritant.

Are his lids puffy after he's been up and around for a while? Maybe it's just sleepy puffy when he first wakes up.

My eyelids are puffy when I first get up.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with his lids. They look fine to me. As long as the eye itself is not red or sore, and he isn't rubbing them a lot, IMO I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.
Yes everything is well damped , no dust at all ! He eats well, but he sleeps a lot , you think he’s just a baby that’s why he sleeps a lot ?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Happy Birthday. I hope your tortoise gets better soon

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes it is moss and yes I just started soaking him , I’ve only had him for a few days , and I’m using Zoo Med 26061 Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho Uvb 24W Fluorescent and a regular 100 watt bulb ( red ) at night I have a 80 watt ceramic heat lamp
I just saw this, no red light at night or day. Use a CHE. Red light could stress his eyes