Tortoise laid eggs. What do I do?

Location (City and/or State)
California
Guys I’m panicking. My tortoise laid a couple eggs but she didn’t have a mate or anything. It legit just her. But what do I do now? will she be okay?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Its totally ok. Females lay unfertilized eggs all the time (that's what you eat when you eat chicken eggs). I would just collect them and throw them in your composting pile...

California
I know they can lay eggs yet for some reason it passed my mind she would actually do it. It wasn’t something I thought about. But is there anything I should do for her? like soaking after? or just like let her be?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Guys I’m panicking. My tortoise laid a couple eggs but she didn’t have a mate or anything. It legit just her. But what do I do now? will she be okay?
What species? What age? How long have you had the tortoise? Is she dropping eggs on the surface, or digging nests?

Definitely soak more for a few days after.

California
What species? What age? How long have you had the tortoise? Is she dropping eggs on the surface, or digging nests?

Definitely soak more for a few days after.
texas tortoise, age unknown but she is fully grown. this is my second(?) year with her. She dug but not a lot so she dropped on surface i’d say.
She seems to be doing fine and is currently soaking. I’m still in shock she stepped on one of the eggs lol

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises can store sperm for at least five years. At least some species, some of the time. Sulcatas can only store it for about 6 months. Leopards can go five years, and possibly more. I don't know where Texas tortoises fall on that spectrum, but there is a chance that these are fertile since she has only been with you for two years.

Are you sure of the species? Its not legal to cross state lines with any gopherus species, so it would be odd for you to have one in CA. You might want to refer to it as a "desert" tortoise, or "gopherus species" when speaking about it publicly if you are certain of the species.

California
Tortoises can store sperm for at least five years. At least some species, some of the time. Sulcatas can only store it for about 6 months. Leopards can go five years, and possibly more. I don't know where Texas tortoises fall on that spectrum, but there is a chance that these are fertile since she has only been with you for two years.

Are you sure of the species? Its not legal to cross state lines with any gopherus species, so it would be odd for you to have one in CA. You might want to refer to it as a "desert" tortoise, or "gopherus species" when speaking about it publicly if you are certain of the species.
I got her from my grandparents who got her from a friend that passed. They are too old to do much so thats why I have her now. I have her tags so the CTTC know of her existence and she has seen a vet. I can’t say anything about her upbringing or where her first owner got her and sadly we can’t ask. But I’ll certainly do what you said from now on.