Tortoise noise tolerance?

Ember909

Location (City and/or State)
California
I'm wondering about how much noise tortoises can tolerate. I'm planning on getting a Mesopotamian Greek tortoise in the near future, and to have it live in a vivarium some of the time, but an outdoor pen when weather is favorable. However, the best place for a pen- in terms of sunlight and plant life- is about 15 feet from our emergency propane generator, which we turn on whenever the power goes out. Will the noise of it running bother the tortoise? It's loud enough that standing next to it isn't good for hearing, but not deafening.

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
I believe I read somewhere that tortoises are deaf but instead hear through vibrations. I’m not sure how true that is so perhaps one of the experts on here can clarify.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here’s a pretty in-depth research article about tortoise hearing.

➡️➡️ https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265379185_The_Auditory_Sense_in_Tortoises_using_Hermann's_Tortoise_Testudo_hermanni_Gmelin_1789_as_an_Example

Anecdotally, I know I can use our gas powered lawn mower or weed whacker near our Sully when it’s out on the lawn grazing and it’s not phased at all by the noise. Granted, it’s only for short periods of time.

Im not too sure how often u run your generator, or how long. But frequent long duration might be unpleasant or stressful for ur tort.

Ember909

California
Generally, we run it all day if we can. Although, we are thinking of getting a soundproofing fence around it, so that might help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think it will be a problem. You won't be using the gennie all that much most of the year. Watch for fumes more than anything.

schumacherl88

Durand, Michigan
I have also read that they can’t hear but I swear when I talk to our tortoise or call her name she seems to respond so I’m not sure if it is by the vibration of the way I talk she recognizes it... i would quarantine any new tortoise before introducing them to the same enclosure...