Tortoise not defecating

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I have a hermann's tortoise that I have had for six days. In that time, she has only defecated only once. She has been soaked daily in 85-90 degree water. Her basking spot is around 90-95. She eats normal, and usually wants more after I feed her. She is 2.5 inches in size, and she self soaks several times a day. She investigates her enclosure often. I think she is already acclimated, but the only problem I notice is she isn't defecating, or urinating. I gave her some mazuri mixed with her greens to attempt to give her more fiber, but I haven't seen any results. Should I try giving aloe or cactus as a laxative? Are there any underlying problems?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Scrambling in the soak tub, trying to get out, almost always ends up with dirty water. You have to leave her in the soak water long enough for her to get tired of being in there and so she scrambles trying to get out. It may take an hour or more. If the tortoise is small enough I put the soak tub inside the habitat, close to, but not under the light and just leave her there. You must keep checking back though, because they sometimes flip over on their back.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
In some cases we have given them canned plain pumpkin and even lactulose!

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I soaked her for exactly 30 minutes. She spent the whole time scrambling trying to get out, but no dirty water. As soon as I put her back in she found her food and started eating. I don't understand how she can eat for seven to eight days and not defecate at all. Well, at least I know she's hydrated.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I soaked her again today like yesterday, next to her lamp. She didn't even try to get out today. Could that be because I soaked her before she had a chance to bask? She is still eating fine, though.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
She may very well urinate when you are not watching, or even while you're soaking her and that's why you can't see it. If she's active and eating then it seems to be a good sign, maybe she just needs a bit more time to digest before she can go potty? But I'm not an expert.

I'd follow the advice the others have given you and continue with the soaks.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I found some poop next to her food slate. It was an extremely small amount, but at least I know she's not having any issues.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Yaaay! On another note: Maybe she's destroying the evidence by *urgh* eating it? ;)
Keep up with your good work and keep us posted if anything changes.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Tortoise not defecating

hunterk997 said:
I soaked her again today like yesterday, next to her lamp. She didn't even try to get out today. Could that be because I soaked her before she had a chance to bask? She is still eating fine, though.

Yes, soaking in warm water before basking makes them relax and soak up the warmth from the warm water.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I have coco coir and sometimes I use my handy dandy magnifying glass to inspect and look for poopees. In any case, it is very good that you are watching your tortoise and being concerned and soaking is the best way, in my little years experience, to get things moving along, which is what you want so nothing binds or clogs.

I had a little constipated leopard. So sluggish compared to the others for a week or so. I watched him closely, stepped up the temperatures a little, gave him 2 to even 3 soaks a day in a bigger bowl that he could not get out of. A few times for over an hour, making sure the water stayed warm for him, like spa time ... and then finally, one day, success! My little tortoise was instantly better, happy again, running around. Whatever it was, it was bugging him. So you cannot go wrong with therapy spa time. It is a good support method to help them along. I thank Yvonne and Maggie every day for their long ago threads on TFO about the soaking method, which I read, absorbed and it helped me so much with my tortoises years later when I found myself trolling this forum for information. Just my experience. : )

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I soaked her for twenty minutes today. She urinated within the first few minutes, so I was hoping for a poop, but no luck. Hopefully her activity today will trigger something.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I haven't soaked her yet today. But she expelled a urate this morning, and then pooped, so I'm relieved now.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Yay! I am glad for you and for your tortoise. It is quite absurd though that we are happy about poop, isn't it? ;P